Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Eat this... not that



Have y'all seen this book? Eat This Not That by David Zinczenko. There are actually several editions.


I recently got the grocery store guide... It is amazing! I have been fooled several times by things I had thought were good food choices.


Since I am posting every frigginday in February, I will let y'all in on some of the secrets.
For instance... If you had to choose between a Reeses Peanut butter Cup or a Butterfinger? The Reese's Cups have less saturated fat, sugar, and less calories. Who knew?
Microwave popcorn?
American's Best is bester than Newmans Own. Pop secret seems to rule the Not That page with it's trans fats.
Salad Dressing?
The Newman's Own Italian mist is better than Ken's Italian mist with it's chemists list of ingredients~ although with a mist of dressing you can't go to wrong. I was distressed to see all of my favorites Newman's balsamic, and Wishbone 'light' Raspberry Vinaigrette are both on the Not That list.
If you have any particular questions, leave a comment... I'll see if I can look it up.

Y'all stay tuned!
Sandi

16 comments:

Missy said...

Oh no I love the Raspberry Vinagrette(sp). I have seen those bokks and thought of buying them.

Mari said...

I saw that book once and should have bought it. Thanks for sharing the knowledge!

Lisa Pogue said...

Does it say anything about sweeteners like Nutrasweet and Splenda? How do they compare with SweetnLow or Sugar Twin? Do they really rot my insides? I really should pick up one of these books.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Melissa~ My favorite too... I am willing to just use less.
Mari~ more to come
Lisa~ I will look it up and get back to you on that one.

Justabeachkat said...

Hmmmm...sounds like a good one. I'll look for it soon.

Hugs!
Kat

Char said...

I need to pick up a copy - though I do love some Ken's dressings.

"Hello... It's Me Again..." said...

That looks like a great book to keep around. I'm sure there are a lot of surprises in there.

Anonymous said...

I saw this book the other day, but didn't pick it up to see what it was about. Sounds like it has some interesting things in there.

Sally said...

Where are you guys seeing this book at? I've never seen it before. I do have to go to The Wal-Mart this week. I'll look for it there. This could be very handy to have. Thanks Sandi!

Anonymous said...

I bought the restaurant one and was SO surprised about many of the things that I thought were healthy but really aren't. I'll have to check out the supermarket one too.

Linda said...

Who knew?☺ Blessings

Katie Zeller said...

What a bizarre - and interesting book! I wonder where pan-seared foie gras would come in...

Chiocciola said...

I've read about this book - and the restaurant one - before and it seems really good! There are so many things that are deceptive in that we think they are healthy when they are not.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Char~ ken's is Not on the list!
Sally~ you know I don't hang at Walmart... I got this from Costco!
Katie~ LoL! foie gras...that cracked me up.

Anonymous said...

Interesting, Sandy. I have not seen this book before.

Sally said...

Unfortuanately, the nearest Costco is 3 hrs. away! I'm going to Wally World today and I'll see if I can find it. Thanks again, Sandi.

Related Posts with Thumbnails