Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Friday, February 20, 2009

Polishing the Silver

You can see that I have been working since I got to Boston. I had to pull out a quick jig-saw puzzle for yesterday's post. To busy working to blog.

Well, at least, I have been taking pictures of my sister working!

It was time to get out the family silver and get it polished. I'm glad these are at her house not mine. For anyone who might know anything about antique silver~ this was our great grandmother's silver set, probably from the early 1900's. Each piece is marked Barbours.P.Co, Hand Chased, Internationals Co, with a number. We have great memories of our mom using these for family dinners.
And polishing it!

Good thing I'm in charge of the camera.
Sandi

15 comments:

Carol Murdock said...

It looks fantastic now!What a treasure!

nanny said...

Beautiful,,,,what a job to polish though!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Beautiful silver....but I too am glad it is someone else's house. I love crystal stuff...but silver is too much work.

Char said...

wow - gorgeous stuff

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pieces! Now why didn't I think to have you do some polishing in Oct.? Now I know of another special skill!

Anonymous said...

I love these, Sandy. They are truly precious. (I always hated polishing my mom's silver)

Sandy said...

oh great post, i'm terrible at doing this stuff!:)

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

Gorgeous silver! What precious time together for you and your sister!

Sandi McBride said...

It was always my job to polish the silver...always. I loved it, watching the beauty emerge from the tarnish...my sisters said not a word when Mama left it to me...I had after all, been the only one to cherish it with elbow grease! Your family silver is lovely. Good job working the camera!
Sandi

Nnairda's said...

I think I would want to man the camera too. LOL!

Beautiful set!

Adriann

Marcia said...

Would your sister be willing to share her method of cleaning the silver? I have some and really am afraid to clean it, because I'm unsure of what is the best method. Would appreciate any feedback on this!

Barb said...

beautiful,I love silver....Barb

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

A job, but worth it. Gorgeous! Enjoy your trip!

nancyhol said...

I think I would choose to be on the camera too!

It's beautiful though!

barb cabot said...

Thanks for posting this Sandi! I'm facing the same chore with my parents silver pieces. After seeing the beautiful results I'll take my turn and use some elbow grease.

Related Posts with Thumbnails