Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Sunday, February 15, 2009

Slow Soupers~ Potato Soup

I love baked potato soup. In fact I posted on my recipe in 2006~ I notice at the time there was no picture (:-0) and my niece was still trying to help Holly figure out how to work blogger. A lot has happened in 3 years. It is still a favorite potato soup recipe that actually calls for baked potatoes.
This slow soup is a recipe by Anne. She says~ this is a recipe I got at a Weight Watchers meeting years ago...it is very easy to make, and can easily be adapted for different tastes.

Baked Potato Soup
Olive oil (to cover bottom of pot)
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4-5 cups chicken broth
1 30 oz. package shredded potatoes (don't get flavored, or cubed; just plain shredded potato)
1 package country gravy mix (I use non-fat)
Salt & pepper to taste
Saute onion, pepper, celery and garlic in olive oil over low-medium heat until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add about 1/2 cup of broth and stir; make sure nothing is stuck to the bottom. Turn up heat until soup is bubbly. Add rest of broth, then add frozen potatoes. (Make sure they aren't all in one clump... I bash them on the counter to break them up before I open the package... picture what you would do to bust up a bag of ice before pouring it into the ice chest).

Make sure you have enough broth. You should be able to stir, and the soup should be somewhat thin at this point. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring frequently, for about 20 minutes. Once the potatoes are soft, you are ready to thicken the soup.
Take 1 cup of hot water, and stir in the gravy mix. Make sure you have WHITE gravy (i.e., country gravy), not brown gravy!. Make sure you don't have any lumps, and stir into the soup. Soup should be bubbly, but not boiling before you add the gravy. Make sure you mix the gravy into the soup well. Turn down to a simmer, and cook for another 10 minutes or so. Soup should be very thick now. Add salt and pepper to taste.

The gravy mix has a lot of seasoning in it, so make sure you don't season till after that is in. I also add about 2 tsp. of dried basil. Sometimes I add more garlic powder...just up to the cook!
This is your basic soup. Makes about 10 cups. Without any other additions, it is 1 point per cup, for you WW members out there. You can top it with shredded cheese, bacon bits and chives, or just have it plain.

Variations: Add a can of creamed corn for corn/potato chowder. Add chopped ham for ham/potato soup. Leave out the garlic if you don't like it. Add more if you do! This is a very flexible recipe...I can't wait to see what all of you do with it. Freezes well.

This is a great basic soup recipe. I made mine early, and had a recipe that called for 70 oz of potatoes. I ended up with a huge pot of potato soup. I doctored it up with my rosemary garlic grinder and some red pepper flakes. I served it with a bit of parmesan cheese and some Italian taralli. Everyone at work loved it.

We especially liked that it was right on our 'Scale Back Alabama' path.
Y'all enjoy!
Sandi

15 comments:

Diane Mars said...

Ok Sandi I am going to give this a try It sure sounds yummy and very simple perfect! I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the recipe, Diane

"Hello... It's Me Again..." said...

This is my kind of recipe! I love trying new things and if it came from WW, then it has to be friendly on the love handles.

I can't wait to try this one.

nanny said...

I have been wanting to make potato soup but couldn't decide which recipe to try!!!Now I know, it will be this one! Thanks for sharing this. I love the WW vegetable soup.

Anonymous said...

Scale back Alabama? That sounds bad. . . Your soup looks delicious. I will have to have a go at your own recipe one of these days.

Chef E said...

That sounds like a great recipe and never thought of baking potatoes first! great post and pic!

2 Dogs said...

Interesting recipe. I have never used bagged shredded potatoes but now I must try. Who wants to peel potatoes.

Fifi Flowers said...

I love potato soup... as a matter of fact I made some on Friday and there is leftovers... I believe I will have some for dinner.
I hope you ENJOYED your Valentine weekend!
Fifi

Sally said...

Fer cryin' out loud! Gravy mix!! I never thought of that. I'll bet it is delicious. Thanks for the idea Sandi.

Unknown said...

This sounds good and I'm all for anything from WW. This sounds easy, thanks!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Diane~ It is simply perfect!
Hello~ we all like something friendly on the love handles
Nanny~ now I'll have to google the WW vegetable soup
Jerry & ChefE~ Y'all would like the other baked potato soup too. Just bake a couple of extras next time.
Patti~ We were a little suspicious of the shredded potatoes. But it couldn't have been any easier.
FiFi~ leftover potato soup is almost as good as the first time around.
Sally~ Yep! Gravy mix.
Joan~ It helps just knowing you are eating a weight watchers recipe.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Sandi,

Thanks for the welcome. When I clicked on your blog, I had to laugh, because potato soup is my favorite food.

Looking forward to getting to know you.

nanny said...

It is the Garden Vegetable Soup. 0 points per serving and it is so delicious. If you can't find it I'll post it, probably should anyway, it's worth sharing.

grace said...

gravy mix incorporated into soup? what a great idea! one can never go wrong when gravy is involved. :)

ReminisceHeirlooms said...

This sounds so yummy for the cold weather. I will print this and try it this weekend. :) Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is a joy to me, bringing so many memories of family. And your pictures are just wonderful. Thank you for blogging.

Related Posts with Thumbnails