Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Monday, October 19, 2009

Presto it's Pesto!

The basil has been overflowing, and now with these chilly nights it is time to pick the last of it. The peppery flavor adds zing to just about any food. This is a pasta salad that is so fresh and yummy~ the pesto can go on anything!

Pesto Pasta
3 cups fresh basil
1 cup fresh Italian parsley
3 garlic cloves
1 Tbs lemon juice
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 pound pasta

1 pint cherry tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
To make the pesto, toast pine nuts until lightly browned. Pack basil and parsley leaves with garlic, lemon juice, and pine nuts. Puree, adding olive oil through the top until a smooth paste. Add parmesan and pulse to blend.
Cook the pasta until done, drain. Toss with pesto, half or quarter tomatoes and add. Top with a few toasted pine nuts.
It almost tastes like Tuscany.
We have made an Escape to Tuscany page on Facebook. Be a 'fan' ~ we'll be posting photos.
Buon Appetito y'all!
Sandi

5 comments:

lululu said...

my basil were all gone, DEAD, as the weather is getting cooler here!
i used to made tons of pesto and freeze them for winter use. :P
love your idea of adding parsley, i've never done that!

Sandi McBride said...

The basil was overflowing here at Orchard Cottage, too. I picked and pinched a half bushel basket just yesterday to make my pesto and believe it or not, we had freezing temps last night...it was 31 when I got up. Just in the nick of time! I still can't believe temps like that in South Carolina in October!
Sandi

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

The cold temps came in quickly here. I have a vase full in the kitchen. We'll see how long that lasts.
I love fresh basil!

Mari said...

Sounds like good pesto! Fresh basil is so good!
FYI - I have my blue post up today.

Cora said...

Sounds good! I've busy drying my cayenne peppers to make crushed red pepper! Wow....that was a burning experience! Got it on my lips and in my eyes! Ouch....before I finished I got the gloves out! ha :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails