Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Friday, October 23, 2009

Snickerdoodles

There is something about the flavor of a snickerdoodle cookie. It just brings warm snuggies and happy smiles. The sweet and the salty mixed with a little cinnamon~ YUM! Traditionally these cookies were made with Crisco... I remember that huge can of crisco my grandma used to have. I don't even have Crisco in my pantry... Do you? This recipe is made with butter, and still tastes just like grandma used to make.
Snickerdoodles
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Cinnamon and sugar for coating
In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and set aside. Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and vanilla, mix well. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients. When smooth, cover and place the dough in the fridge to chill.
Preheat oven to 375°. Roll chilled dough into 1 inch balls. Then roll the balls into a half and half cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake at 375° degrees for 8 minutes. Cool on a rack and store in an airtight cookie jar.
How 'bout a cookie from the cookie jar.
Y'all enjoy!
Sandi

5 comments:

Char said...

crisco solid is what my mom swore with to fry her chicken. i remember it well.

these sound delish

Joyce said...

I actually make these with butter flavor Crisco sticks because I ship them to Iraq and they taste like butter yet the Crisco stays good in the 100 plus temps the soldiers experience over there. If I serve them to friends and family they can't even tell the difference. Such an easy and tasty classic cookie that transcends all generations.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Hey - what do you have against crisco? I thought that it was a staple in the south?

Jerry said...

Once again I do not like coming up as 6p00d83451ef2569e2

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Char~ my mom used criso to fry her chicken too... I use Guthries.
Joyce~ That is good to know. I am so proud that you make cookies to send to the troops. Nothing like the 'taste of home!'
Jerry~ I'd know you in spite of that alias. This is the new south my friend... no crisco in my kitchen.

Related Posts with Thumbnails