Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Sunday, October 18, 2009

Small bites ~ Pecans

Do you call them Pee-cans or pee-cOns?

Our small bite ingredient for the week is the pecan. My favorite nutty flavor! It must be the southerner in me. We had pecan trees in Montevallo, and it was easy to fill up a bag with nuts... cracking them is not as easy.

Y'all are truly lucky this week, because I am posting an old family recipe. This is a cookbook my sister made for me more than 30 years ago. These 'sassy tassies' are little bite sized pecan pies, the creme cheese crust is so flaky and there is just the perfect small bite of praline flavoring.
Mom's Sassy Tassies
Crust
1 stick butter
3 oz creme cheese
1 cup flour
Filling
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbs melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbs karo syrup
1 egg
pinch of salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Cream together the butter, creme cheese and flour until smooth. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or several hours.
In another bowl combine remaining ingredients to make the filling.
Break off 1 inch balls of chilled dough and press into muffin tins (that have been sprayed with non-stick spray) Press down against the bottom and sides evenly. Carefully fill each little pie with filling. The nuts will rise to the top. Bake @ 400° 12-15 minutes.

This recipe makes about 5 dozen and they freeze well. Mom's sassy tassies can be served chilled or try them warmed with a scoop of ice cream. This small bite never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Now, let's see what small bites we get from the other 'nibblers'. Leave your link on Mr Mcklinky. Y'all enjoy!
Sandi
Next week's secret ingredient ~~~Pumpkin ~~~



7 comments:

Deborah said...

Ohhh. I used to love these little pecan pies! Thanks for the cherished family recipe. I'll use it reverently, I promise.
BTW, I think pronounciation is regional. It seems like in the south they say PEE-can, and in the north they say pee-CON.

Barbara said...

Sandi, Please come to my blog....something for you.

Pruple Goat Lady
Barbara

Cora said...

I say "pah-cons" with a real southern drawl.....
These sound delish so I have to try them! Thanks for sharing!
I love pecans and can eat them in just about anything...like homemade chicken salad! Mine's the best!(heehee) :)
Thanks!

nancyhol said...

Sandi, those look so yummy, perfect for the holidays!

I tried to enter my link, but my title was too long and now they say it has already been entered. Oh well!

Gridiron Girl said...

I've been looking for a good Pecan Tassie recipe, I'll definitely have to give these a try!
Where I'm from (Louisiana), we call them Puh-Kahns. :)

http://www.thegridirongirlsguidetothegoodlife.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

so I guess you know how good those sound! Yummy..Glad to be visiting again!

Annie said...

OMG, I've had these before and they are awesome. Thanks for the recipe!

Related Posts with Thumbnails