Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A thank you and a recipe

We can give KD credit for this post. This recipe is brought to you by a friend who got me my own blow torch for my birthday.
Am I excited or what?

Now I can make a proper crème brûlée. I have been trying this dessert for years and have never actually made one to be proud of. Now, I can create magic! This recipe is a variation of one I found on Food Network.


Crème Brûlée
1 egg
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups half and half
4 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbs Grand Marnier
fresh raspberries for topping


Preheat the oven to 300°
In a small saucepan, heat the cream and the cinnamon sticks slowly. You want the cream to be very hot but not boiling. The longer the sticks sit in the cream the more flavor it will absorb. In another bowl whisk the egg, yolks and sugar until just combined. Strain the cinnamon sticks out of the cream. Slowly add the hot cream into the eggs while stirring. Add the vanilla and the orange liqueur.

Place the ramekins in a 9x13 baking dish, fill each with custard. Fill the baking dish with water halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake 35-40 minutes until set. Cool and refrigerate until firm

To serve, sprinkle the tops with 1 Tbs sugar evenly. Heat with a fabulous, fancy-dancy, kitchen blow torch if you are lucky enough to have one. If not . . . place under the broiler and watch closely. Top with fresh raspberries before serving. Y'all enjoy!
Sandi

I have been featured on FunkyJunk! Donna is fabulous... hop over and check her out.

11 comments:

lululu said...

oh, i just always need an excuse to make this or that!
not having a blow torch is definitely one of them, haha!
your sweet treat looks great!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Lululu~ LoL... you crack me up! Now I have no excuses.

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Wow...Looks great! Amazing what you can do with a torch...You do magic with food I melt glass into beads! Fire is fabulous! Pass the Bruleeeeeee! xoxo ~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, love your new header pic, so pretty. And I'll be right over, so you can make me some creme brulee. How did you know that's one of my fave desserts??

Let's go to Joe's soon, maybe next week.

Char said...

that is my most favorite dessert in the entire world

barb cabot said...

I just love this dessert! Wow impressive.

Sandi McBride said...

Mama always put the cinnamon sticks in the cream overnight...she was quite famous in Chesterfield County for her Creme Brulee...mainly for never once setting the house afire with her handy dandy little torch that she purchased in Ybor City when we lived in Tampa. Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try this one this weekend! I have Mama's torch...pray I don't set the place afire!
Sandi

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Kathy~ I'll swap you some creme brulee for some of those fabulous beads!
Rhoda~ glad you noticed the header pic. I'll call~
Char & Barb~ My favorite too.
Sandi~ Keep that fire department on standby.

Grand Pooba said...

Oh my gosh I can't believe you actually got a blow torch for your birth! That is hillarious, until I realized what you use it for and then I understood your excitement. Not that I'll be making creme brulee any time soon, that's what I have you for right? right?

Ok, I'll trade you my magazines for your creme brulee. It's only fair.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Looks so yummy Sandi! Creme Brulee is my daughter's favorite dessert. I;m tempted to buy her a blow torch too! :-)

debra@dustjacket said...

Oh my gosh, go easy on the blow torch girl.

The sweet looks yummy :)
xoxo

Related Posts with Thumbnails