Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Tuesday, June 15, 2010

They are going to carry me away!

I hear buzzing in my sleep (while I'm getting over my jet lag by the pool).
I think they are going to carry me away. I have arrived back in Alabama in the armpit of summer. It is dreaded mosquito season! Here are some tips from DIY Life to keep them away.
I'm not convinced... There was everything from spray's to whirring sound machines. One person suggested a concoction of beer, salt, and mouthwash to spray on the bushes. Or~ Try a white plate full of water and lemon joy to attract the pesky 'skeeters or a dish of old coffee grounds. I'm not sure that a chiminia with burning pinon wood is the answer... we don't need anything to heat things' up!
In the meantime, I am wearing eau de OFF cologne!
How do y'all keep the skeeters away?
Sandi

11 comments:

nanny said...

Oh How Funny....eau de off....I need some of that!!!!
So sorry that you are back in skeeter land!!!!!!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

The cure for these "mosquito hawks" would be to head back to Italy, as long as you take me with you of course:D

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Hey sweetie...LOVE the pink Vespa!!!!
and your cooking class!
How fun was that!!!
I live vicariously through you and your cooking adventures... so much fun you have.
I have a pot of herbs growing on the front porch...I must have done well planting them , for they are growing like crazy!.
Your pot of basil with the pesto reminded me of that.

Cook on my friend,
xoxo~Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Elz said...

Spray, spray, and spray-Houston is a mosquito haven.

It's Just Dottie said...

My mother always said Avon Skin-So-Soft would keep mosquitos away.
We live low on the Texas Gulf Coast in mosquito land.
Dottie

It's Just Dottie said...

My mother always said Avon Skin-So-Soft would keep mosquitos away.
We live low on the Texas Gulf Coast in mosquito land.
Dottie

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Sorry I don't know the answer. If there is one 5 miles away, it will find me.

Heather Ozee said...

We have helicopter sized mosquitoes too!

Fresh Local and Best said...

Sandi, I have no good advice for you, except to stay indoors. I've suffered at the hands of these pests too many times. I've heard that mosquitos do not like geraniums, so perhaps start a big garden of geraniums?

Tanna said...

Eau de Off... I'm a fan. We bought one of those foggers from Home Depot to try! Hope it works!! I am not a fan of the little blood suckers!

Cora said...

Oh I know what you mean...they are awful!!!!!!!!!
I have tried everything...the mouthwash thing does not work. So I too am wearing the smell of repellant...and truly hate it because my skin is very senitive to those sprays. Oh well they are a part of summertime in the south!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails