Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Sunday, June 27, 2010

Summer Slaw

I love the fresh taste of coleslaw in the summer time... But I don't like the idea of mayo baking in the heat.


This is a combination of 2 slaws that are family favorites. Easy to make and just what you might be looking for on the 4th of July.
Thai Summer Slaw
3 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup yellow squash
1/2 cup cucumbers
1/2 cup yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup frech cilatro
2 pkgs ramen noodles
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1 Tbs fish sauce
Combine oil, sugar, vinegar and fish sauce in a cup. Add one package of ramen noodle spice. Stir briskly and set aside. Julienne slice the squash, cucumbers, peppers and cabbage. In a large bowl; crumble the ramen noodles. Combine all the other ingredients. Stir the dressing in and serve.
Now for the rest of the story... I used two bags of cole slaw mix (cabbage and carrots) then all I had to do was add the squash, cucumbers and peppers. You can also add sunflower seeds to the mix to add a bit of extra crunch, if you'd like.

We are about to move on to our new series of Sunday cooking adventures... Next week starts Sunday Sides! We'll have recipes for side dishes from all over the world. This in addition to Pomodori e Vino and my Cooking Light Supper Club. It looks like we'll be cooking again in the WhistleStop Kitchen.
Y'all enjoy!
Sandi

7 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Love the Thai flavours in this summer-friendly salad Sandi.

koralee said...

Oh I love this salad... just yesterday my daughter requested it for this week! Yum! xxoo

Cora said...

I have eaten and made a similar cole slaw to this but this one sounds better....more tasty! I made a trip to a neighboring produce market to buy fresh veggies and they carry the Whistle stop mixes...so I had to pick some up of course...The fried green tomatoe and fish batter!! Oh yeah!

gigi said...

Yum!

nanny said...

That sounds great!!! I love a new slaw recipe and I love the idea of the crunchy noodles!!! I like vinegar slaw better than mayo....

pam said...

I used to make a slaw with ramen noodles. I forgot all about it!

Tanna said...

I've had one similar, but will have to give this one a try! Love the crunchy texture!

Related Posts with Thumbnails