Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Amazing!

This is the perfect post for Ash Wednesday.
Have you ever seen the Sistine Chapel in Rome? This photo is from 2006, when Rob and I spent a week in Rome and visited the Vatican. Has it really been 5 years ago? We still talk about our time in Italy, seeing Rome and visiting the Vatican.

When we finally wandered into the Sistine Chapel, we were awe struck.... But the crowds, the rush to move through, and the guard 'sushing' us dimmed our awe somewhat.

Michelangelo's Last Judgement is only a part of the amazing fresco's. The walls and ceiling hold a series of nine paintings showing God's Creation of the World, God's Relationship with Mankind, and Mankind's Fall from God's Grace. He painted these in the 1500's. In the scene of the Last Judgement, you can easily see the flayed skin; which is thought to be a self portrait by Michelangelo.

http://www.vatican.va/various/cappelle/sistina_vr/index.html

Click on this link for a chance to sit in the Sistine Chapel, use your arrows to move around the room, the altar and the ceiling... Turn you speakers up!

Awesome.

16 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I was 19 when I visited the Vatican. When you're 18 you see the world through different eyes so I would love to return some day, minus the crowds, etc.

Justabeachkat said...

We were there about 7 years ago. Beautiful! And there's a special feeling in the air...did you notice it too?

Hugs,
Kat

Char said...

what a beautiful and special place. I would lvoe to see it "in person"

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This is an awesome web site, Sandi! I had the same experience at the Sistine chapel that you did but I was happy to see it after all the restoration had been accomplished a few years before and the colors were back to the original. Just beautiful!

nanny said...

I was there in 2003....thanks so much for the link....that is awesome.

Donnie said...

I have seen the photos before and they are stunning. I just wanted to let you know I'm out of grandchildren so I'll have to look for some other things to post now...lol...

Auntie Cake said...

Italy is on my "Must see" list. It looks absolutely divine. One day...

Hope all is going smoothly with the wedding plans. What I wouldn't give to be sinking my feet into some beautiful white sand (instead of white snow...) right now. Take loads of pictures for us!
Kate

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Sandi, that is really neat! Wish you could have been with me & Kat in Destin. Had a fun time with her again.

I really want to go back to Italy one day, I need to! yes, let's try to get together before I leave. the days are running out. I'll be in ATL next week for the wedding, then back one more week before the move, so hopefully we can do it then.

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

Amazing is right! I've never been, but could just imagine!

Vintage Home said...

Thanks you...Fascinating!..Our daughter was there 4 years ago and saw the Pope!

Elz said...

The Vatican is A-Mazing. Of course I went to the Sistine Chapel. I did the whole Vatican tour and ended with a Mass by then Pope John Paul II. He blessed me & all my future children. Boom! Awesome. I'm Catholic, so the trip was really amazing and grounding.

Tanna said...

It is really almost unbelievable how beautiful this is... and how Michaelangelo was able to do all of it. Amazing.

A Tale of Two Cities said...

Now that's the way to see it--all to yourself with the music enhancing your experience! Let's make a reservation to go back when we can see it like this!

Southwest Cottage Designs said...

Oh what fun! I was able to take a trip to Rome many years ago and have never forgotten it. One thing I remember is the spaghetti. It wasn't made quite like our American way of loaded rich spicy sauce. And I remember the Catacombs. Wow! That I'll not forget either. There was so much like you've described. It was a fun and memorable trip for me. Glad you had the wonderful experience.

bj said...

I would love to go to Italy someday. Thanks for sharing all this.

If you have Fri. Fav. let me know.:)
xo bj

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Yes, Sandi, this IS a perfect post for Ash Wednesday. I have never been to Rome (or the Vatican) yet, and am praying to be able to go next summer. If our time share exchange request comes through, I will def'ly ask you for your recommendations. I think that when i see the Vatican and hopefully and audience in the square with the Pope, that I will weep endlessly!

Related Posts with Thumbnails