Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Thursday, August 05, 2010

Pomodori e Vino ~Gnocchi

I knew I needed help for my challenge with Pomodori e Vino this week. We are making Gnocchi! ~So I called my chef-to-be son in for support.

We are starting into a new chapter with several kinds of gnocchi... who knew there was more than one kind? The only gnocchi I have ever had were thick and heavy. Marcella says clearly that the essential characteristic of well-made gnocchi is that they be fluffy and light.

I was about to try some well-made gnocchi (hopefully!) I have never made gnocchi before... another adventure!

Basically Gnocchi is a little lump of potato and flour. The potato needed for good gnocchi is a 'boiling' type. The potatoes are boiled and peeled, passed through a food mill, and blended with flour until smooth.
The potato dough is then rolled into 1 inch rolls, then these are cut into 3/4 inch pieces.
Now the tricky part~ the pieces of dough are lightly pressed against the prongs of a fork to form indentions. These indentions are important when the gnocchi is covered with sauce~ I used a flavorful gorgonzola sauce. Potatoes and gorgonzola...
(and my son spending the day with me in the kitchen) I'm in heaven!

Ciao y'all,
Sandi

6 comments:

Holledayz said...

Oh Boy, glad you are up and running! How do I get the recipe for the Turkey Cabbage Cups?

Cora said...

I love the Chicken and Gnocchi soup at Olive Garden...it is one of my faves!! When you get to eat all you can of soup and salad it's a wonderful meal!

Sandra said...

Oh, Sandi, my mouth is watering, reading this post. You make it sound so simple. How much flour to potato do you use. It is only me, I am cooking for, but I would make enough for several meals.

Thanks, SandraK

abbey said...

Oh good, sweet, lord- I think I'm in love.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Holly~ click on the link for the cabbage cups (I did include the link didn't I???)
Cora~ I always get the soup and salad at Olive Garden. You can't beat it!
Sandra~ Marcella suggests egual ammounts of boiled potatoes and flour... adding more flour if needed.
Abbey~ what's not to love??

Lisa said...

Sandi, I am crazy for good gnocchi. I have to try DOCTOR Hazan's recipe! :) Ooh, and with Gorgonzola sauce, heaven.

Related Posts with Thumbnails