Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Sunday, August 22, 2010

Figs, Figs, Figs

Here in Alabama, it is definitely the end of fig season. I was lucky enough to have a friend share some figs with me!
I found this recipe for fig bars that were easy to make... and a hit at work. The original recipe called for dried figs, so I adapted this to use up my fresh figs. Orange Fig Bars
Dough:
6 Tbs butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Filling:
2 cups figs
1 Tbs orange zest
2 Tbs sugar
2 Tbs honey
1 Tbs orange juice
Make the dough by mixing the butter and sugar until smooth. Add honey, vanilla and egg to make a wet mix. Combine the dry ingredients. Incorporate the dry to the wet, stirring until smooth. Divide the dough in half, cover each with plastic wrap and chill for several hours.
To make the filling, mince the figs and combine all ingredients. Preheat oven to 375°
Roll one piece of dough and press into a 9x9 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread the filling evenly over the dough. Roll out the second piece of dough into a square to apply to the top of the filling. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes until golden. Cool completely before slicing into bars.
Y'all enjoy!
Sandi

4 comments:

nanny said...

I love figs....haven't had any in years. We had several trees when I was a little girl. I would eat them until my mouth was raw!!

Tanna said...

That recipe makes me homesick for my Ma-Maw. She lived just outside Birmingham on a dairy. When we would visit in the summer, she always made us homemade fig filled cookies. Oh, I miss those.

It's Just Dottie said...

I think figs are a heavenly food.
They are my favorite. I can hardly wait for them to ripen in the summer .

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Fresh fig bars....love ot Sandi!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails