Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Monday, August 16, 2010

Beading Basics

I have a tackle box full of beads, clasps and string. My treasure chest of jewelry. When the mood strikes, I get out the whole kit-n-kaboodle and make a new bauble or two. I have been playing with beads for years

My sister has some majahn tiles she wants to make into jewelry... I decided this blog post will be easier than trying to explain it over the phone.

First the supplies for making a bracelet or necklace.
1. wire for stringing the beads and scissors
2. crimping beads and needle nose plyers
3. beads ~lots of beads!
4. clasps or whatever you plan to use on the endsOh... and those glasses you will be needing to see.

These supplies are are easy to find at any craft store. I'm all for supporting a small time beading shop... (unless they give you the runaround and insist you take a beading class... then go to the big guy)

Cut the strand of wire the length you want to make, plus a couple of inches on each end. Begin by crimping one end. To do this you put the crimping bead on, run the wire back through and then crimp closed. Ta-Daa! That is the hardest part.
String the beads like you'd like. Anytime you aren't happy, just remove them and try again. Once you are happy... ok... thrilled with the results, you are ready to finish your piece.

After the final bead, add another crimping bead and the clasp. Run the wire back through the crimping bead and the next few beads. Pull tight, and crimp closed. Make sure your crimps are tight to hold the piece secure.
This is absolutely the basics... once you get the hang of it, it is easy to build just about anything you want. Necklaces, bracelets, earrings...
~and now that local bead shop will wish they'd taken 10 minutes to show you the basics, because you would be back again and again and again for more beads!

Y'all enjoy~
Sandi

4 comments:

Chef E said...

I went through a beading class, and still have the wine glass ID's I made, loved it, love most all things creative :) Great idea for a post!

pam said...

I love jewelry making! I've even sold some of my stuff. Wish I had more time for it.

Tanna said...

Great tutorial, Sandi!

Justabeachkat said...

I have a girlfriend who used to do this. It looks easy. Maybe I will give it a try this winter.

Hugs,
Kat

Related Posts with Thumbnails