Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Monday, July 12, 2010

Kitchen department at Lowes?

When I was in Italy, Y'all know I took a fantastic cooking class with Bluone. I learned to make fresh pasta by rolling with a mattarello~ a special long rolling pin. I've tried since, making tortelloni with my rolling pin. It worked. But it just didn't feel right.
So, today I decided to go to Lowes and find what I needed. First a solid wooden dowel that is 2 inch thick.. I had to buy a mile of it, so there is another mattarello for the making. Kind of like buy 1 get 2! Bart, the saw guy, was very helpful and might be coming by for fresh pasta.
I also found a 24x24 inch square piece of plywood that would work for my rolling surface. I took time to check and make sure they weren't warped.
I spent the afternoon sanding, washing and sanding. Pasta with splinters wouldn't be any good! I seasoned them both with oil and flour. In about 10 years they will be just right. Marcella Hazan says the most important thing is that they don't rest on the floor~ to prevent warping I have them hanging in the pantry.
First patch of pasta was good... and it only gets better from here!
Now that is thrifty shopping in the kitchen department at Lowes.
This week is Marcella's artichoke lasagna for Pomodori e Vino.
Y'all enjoy~
Sandi
~I'm linking up with some FuN linky parties!
What You're Workin' With
Someday Crafts
Bloggeritaville!

12 comments:

Deborah said...

This is SO funny, Sandi! Guess where I was today at about noon?
That's right! Good ol' Lowes.
I bought enough to make three of different sizes and had them cut it. I now have a 24", 30" & 36".
I haven't sanded them down and oiled them yet.

Elz said...

Very clever. i wish I could taste your homemade pasta-yum!

Chef E said...

Cool, love those wooden dowels!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Deborah~ that is too funny. Mine worked just fine. We'll be rolling dough in style.
Elz~ ...or you can make your own:-)
E~ I'm sure you have one tucked in your supply closet.

nanny said...

I have a question, Sandi.
I have a recipe for spaghetti sauce cooked in crockpot and I like to add fresh mushrooms to it. Would you sautee them or just slice and add to sauce to cook all afternoon? I usually sautee but today i just added to crockpot...what would you do?

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Great idea! I never would have thought of that!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

nanny~ I would probably sautee them... I'll have to pop over and see what you did. Sounds Yummy!
Michelle~ thanks for having the linky party!

nancyhol said...

Great job on the board and rolling pin!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

soooooooooooooo smart, Sandi!
fabulous!

Pearl Maple said...

Link parties are great fun, always interesting to see what interesting ideas other bloggers have to share.

Room to Inspire said...

What a great idea - I love that you just went out and made one yourself! Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired this month.

Chelsea

R. Stephen Gracey said...

I love this! How do you keep your spianatoia/surface from slipping as you work the sfoglia?

Stephen

Related Posts with Thumbnails