Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Thursday, July 15, 2010

Pomodori e Vino ~ Artichoke Lasagna

It was officially Jan's turn to make the next recipe for Pomodori e Vino~ But I didn't want to miss out on all the fun. So, I made the Artichoke Lasagna too.
and BoY am I glad I did!
The challenge in this recipe was making the lasagna noodles. My new Mattarello and Rolling board worked out perfectly. My lasagna noodles were thin and fresh. Marcella says "the only pasta suitable for lasagne is paper thin dough, freshly made at home."

Ok, so mine were'nt paper thin... but close.
The base of this lasagna is a bechamel sauce made with butter, flour, and milk. I did use frozen artichokes (because if not I'da had $30 just in Artichokes!) I also used my special Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese... I hand carried it back from Italy. (which reminds me of another post I have to catch up on!!)

The lasagna is layered~ Marcella says no fewer than 6 layers. Start with the bechamel, pasta, artichokes with bechamel, grated cheese, then pasta. End with a layer of pasta, topped with a thin layer of bechamel and cheese. I didn't get to 6 layers before I ran out of room.
The interesting thing to me is that this lasagna only bakes for 10-15 minutes, until a crust develops on the top.

This lasagna is so rich and flavorful that even a small piece is more than plenty.
This maybe one of my FaVoriTe dishes so far in our daily journey through Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking. Stay tuned for many more.

Ciao Y'all~
Sandi

7 comments:

Tanna said...

Speak for yourself on the small piece being more than plenty! LOL! That looks "seconds" worthy to me!

Lori Lynn said...

Hi Sandi - I've never had artichoke lasagna. Sounds fabulous. Thanks for the inspiration.
LL

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Noni~ pass you plate!
Lori Lynn~ come by for inspiration anyday.

jan said...

Sandi--
So glad you cooked along. Did you read about our power going out??? WTF?

I did spring for the fresh artichokes and they were fine but $$$. Only $2.50 at Walmart.

Brooke said...

I expect to be having this for dinner when we come to visit because it looks AMAZING!!!!!

nancyhol said...

Your lasagna looks wonderful! And I am sure it tastes even better!

Gumbo Lily said...

Oh, I'd love to try it.

So fun going through your blog this afternoon.

Jody

Related Posts with Thumbnails