Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Smoky shrimp and grits

This is one of those dishes that is so much easier than it sounds. Shrimp and grits can be a last minute hit that you can whip up in no time~ just ask our friends!
I keep a bag of shrimp in the freezer, and grits are always in our pantry.
Smoky Shrimp and Grits
1 cup grits cooked
1/4 cup smoked gouda cheese
1/4 cup cheddar
4 slices bacon
2 green onions
1 pound shrimp
Olive oil (optional)
Cook the grits accoring to the package directions (intant will work fine) stir in grated cheeses and set aside.
In a skillet, fry bacon until extra crispy, remove to cool and crumble. (I pour off most of the bacon grease and add olive oil~ but you don't have to)Lower the heat, then add peeled and deveined shrimp. Cook until shrimp are pink and curled. Toss in crumbled bacon and scallions. Heat through. Serve on top of cheesy grits.
I like to serve this with a little creamed spinach right on top. Yum!
and the best part. . . my time out of the pool and in the kitchen is cut down to just a few minutes.
Y'all enjoy~
Sandi

11 comments:

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Thanks so much for this recipe. The best Shrimp and Grits I've ever had were at a restaurant and I asked why they were so good and was told it was because the Chef used Smoked Gouda! So delicious!

Tanna said...

I love shrimp and grits!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Lisa~ we love the Ya-Ya shrimp and grit in Pensacola. This is a little lighter and a lota easier.
Fuat~ I'm not sure what that means... but it is getting deleted. Mi scusi!
Tanna~ come on by!

Elz said...

I love shrimp & grits. I will put this in my "to try" recipe file!

Weight Loss Tips said...

Good sounding shrimp and grits recipe, have to try this one.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Grits are still something I have yet to try. The first time I saw them in the grocers was in the States. I will need to make sure to pick them up next time!!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

A comment from Weight Loss Tips... is that a good thing or a bad thing? :-)

Secret Restaurant Recipes said...

This looks wonderful! Thanks for the shrimp recipe!

Grits will have to take some time getting used to but it will be good!

secret restaurant recipes

Char said...

yum! i love smoked gouda and grits

meemsnyc said...

I love shrimp and I love grits, so this is making me happy!

Unknown said...

I love your blog! I am so glad Bo posted a link on his blog! I just signed up to follow your blog. I will be checking back often to see what other tasty recipes you are cooking up.

Related Posts with Thumbnails