Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Monday, April 26, 2010

Lemons and a torch~

I will have to give credit to Susi for this craving that was flung upon me. She started it with her Lemon Meringue Cupcakes on Photograzing. They are beautiful! (I won't show her picture here because you will then see that mine are sorely lacking)

But... once you get the taste for lemon meringue in your mouth there is no turning back.
I had an idea.
Using my favorite Diet Soda Cake idea, I created lemon-ginger cupcakes~ using diet gingerale and lemon cake mix.

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
24 lemoney cupcakes
1 jar lemon curd
Paula Deen's 7 Minute Frosting When it was time for dessert~ I topped each of the cupcakes with a dollop of lemon curd. Then a larger dollop of the 7 minute frosting that I had made earlier in the day (which answers the question... is this meringue stable enough to last in the fridge?). I torched each cupcake until the meringue was lightly toasted.
They were fabulous!
and fancy :-{)
Thanks bunches to my new bloggy friend Susi. She even responded to my email's while I was in the kitchen... It was almost like having a bloggy friend at the kitchen counter while I was cooking. Y'all enjoy~
Sandi

14 comments:

Char said...

oh, they look completely yummy!!! i bet they are wonderful

Chef E said...

Oh my mom is missing out on some good baking creations, she loved egg white toppings (nana puddin esecially) and would love this!

Joy Tilton said...

Yum, these make my mouth water! Lemon curd on an english muffin is one of my favorite bkfst's so I know these would be a wonderful dessert. Thanks for sharing!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I am full.....just ate lunch...and my mouth is positively drooling. I love the taste of lemon curd. I love the taste of anything lemony. thanks for sharing. I am probably going to buy some lemon curd today when I get off from work.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Char~ yes they WERE!
E~ this icing was good, and it held over in the fridge for a few hours.
Joycee~ cheatin' with a little jar of lemon curd makes life easier!
Magnolia~ Give me lemon or chocolate... and I'd take lemon anyday!

Auntie Cake said...

I am going to have to try these. I have 5 meyer lemons in my fridge just waiting to be made into lemon curd, and those cupcakes sound like I could whip them up in no time. I'll let you know how they turn out!

Have a great day!
Kate

Dar said...

There ya go again. Now you did it! You put that taste in my mouth. Your cupcakes look 'to die for'. Thanks for sharing.
Blessya

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

Sandi - I think they look great :o) I'm glad you tried them out. I also like your simplified version. As much as I like mine they were certainly quite involved so anything that makes the life easier is good in my book :o)

Claudia Lawrence said...

Nice blog & good recipe i will try too yummy. You have beautifully maintained, you must try this website which really helps to increase your traffic. hope u have a wonderful day & awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

Tanna said...

Droooooooooool....

Barbara said...

Sandi, I am so busy building fence, could you just send me about 2 dozen of those cupcakes....hehe. I love lemon anything.

Barbara

Lori Lynn said...

Wow! Very creative. YAY for meringue!
LL

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

kate~ I can't wait to see yours!
Dar~ now you caught that craving
Susi~ thanks bunches from a total stranger... you are the best!
Claudia~ I am always leary about clicking on links like yours... no thanks.
Noni~ LoooooooL
Babara~ while I'm at it I will send Bill to help with that fence.

Melanie said...

Those look fantastic! Do you think that the finished cupcakes would hold up alright in the refrigerator for a day? I need to make a batch of tasty cupcakes, but my schedule means that I have to make them around 24 hours early. What do you think?

Related Posts with Thumbnails