Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Monday, April 19, 2010

When Life Gives you Lemons...

When life gives you lemons~
Make Limoncello!
I have been in the house for 3 days after my most recent PDT treatment for skin cancers. There is nothing that makes you want to get out of the house more than knowing you can't.
I have caught up with season 7 of Project Runway (I'm still devestated over Anthony~ Bless His Heart!) I've read a book, cooked to my little heart's content and worked on some overdue projects.

My limoncello has been infusing for 45 days. It was time to start Step Two of my hooch-making process. Check HERE for the entire Limoncello recipe from my friend Deborah~ the hooch maker herself (also now of Pomodori e Vino fame!).
So... here we go. The lemon peels have lost their color and are crisp as chips. I filtered out the peels.
I made a syrup of sugar and water and added it to my lemon infusion.
The next step is to return my jar to it's cool dry place for 40 days for the mellowing process that will combine the alcohol infusion with syrup to create a beautiful Limoncello. By then I'll be sipping limoncello in Tuscany.
This batch will be really ready when I get home.
Ciao y'all~
Sandi

13 comments:

barb cabot said...

You really did make great use of your time inside. I'm so jealous about your limoncello talents. Looks great!

Dar said...

Life giving you a lemon, certainly gave you great use of them in making limoncello. It looks divine. Hope you are feeling 'more better'.
BlessYourHeart

lol, verification word is coble, hmm, I wonder if that means you will be making 'cobbler' next?

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

When I am Seattle next weekend I will be picking up some grain spirits for my Italian friends who will be making limoncello. Perhaps I need to pick up some for me since they don't seem to sell what we call Alcool here in Canada any longer.Have a glass or two when you are in Italy for me:D

Deborah said...

You take such BEAUTIFUL pictures! And your limoncello looks pretty good, too. :grin:

Barb said...

Wish I was there when it's done to help you sample it....Barb

nanny said...

Can't wait to hear about the flavor!!!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Barb~ We'll see about those talents in a couple of weeks.
Dar~ I am much more better. Thank you!
Val~ I will gladly let you have a couple of glasses of limoncello:-)
Deborah~ thank you for the photography compliment... I'm trying to follow 'Funky Junks' advice.
Barb & Nanny~ y'all come for the limoncello party!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hope your PDT treatments get rid of it all, Sandi. I have fair sking and light ees so I have to be so careful about the sun and had some pre cancerous leasions removed.

Limoncello is such a wonderful summer drink and is a wonderful ingrediant in many desserts...enjoy!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Sorry for the typos ..time for bed for me...I meant "fair skin and light eyes"

Tanna said...

Wow! Hooch making. Never considered it... until now! Sorry about the skin cancer confinement. Don't you just hate that stuff! Really puts a cramp on our style! I'm looking forward to getting the report on the finished product of the Limoncello! Ciao!

Our Porch in Hillsborough said...

Sorry for the reason you're staying inside, but at least you were productive! How fun to have a treat like limoncello waiting for you when you return from a holiday.
Ciao!
Leah

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Ummmmm....I could smell that limoncello....and my mouth was watering for a wee taste.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Pat~ yes.. we are wearing our sunscreen NOW!
Noni~ I would have never thought of hooch making, if I didn't have a friend who came make just about anything.
Leah~ I am not very good at doing idle :-)
MsMagnolia~ Y'all will be the first to know how this batch of hooch tastes!

Related Posts with Thumbnails