Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Friday, January 18, 2008

PalmaBella's Chipollini Onions

This is one of my favorite 'new' recipes. We have had them for special family dinners, and yummy meals with pork chops. These are PalmaBella's chipollini onions.

I had a little trouble finding chipollini's till I knew what I was looking for. They are smaller and sweeter than regular onions. You'll find them in a small bag, 3 bags will serve about 6.

Chipollini Onions
3 pounds chipolline onions
1 cup chicken broth
3 Tbs butter
1 Tbs white wine vinegar
1 Tbs sugar
1/4 cup cognac
1 cup dried apricots
toasted chestnuts, chopped
In a large pan bring water to a boil. Blanch the onions to make them easier to peel. Trim the ends and peel the skins off of the onions.
In a deep skillet, combine broth with butter, vinegar, and sugar. Bring to a boil. Add the onions. Cover and cook over low heat for about 15 minutes. Uncover and cook over medium heat until the onions are covered with a deep golden caramel, stirring occasionally. The liquid will evaporate and you can add a teaspoon if needed to keep it from burning. Cook for another 30 minutes.
Add cognac, apricots, and nuts and heat through. Pour onions into a serving dish, add enough water to rinse the remaining caramel out and pour on top.
That is yummy y'all!
Sandi

15 comments:

Sandi McBride said...

I haven't had Chippies in so long that I had forgotten about them...used to fix them in Charleston...everyone thought they were figs, lol!!! Okay, now gonna have to plant some in the garden! Where is my handy dandy seed catalog...I know I won't be able to find them in any store in Chesterfield County...mores the pity!
hugs
Sandi

Mosaic*Queen said...

YUM!!! I LOVE onions, but I have never had these before. So, my question about this recipe is, does this dish taste really sweet or is it a mixture of sweet and spicey??? (I'm not sure spicey is the word I'm looking for, but can't think of any other word to describe it)
Thanks!!
Michelle
p.s. I made a call to animal planet about the birdhouse......just kidding! :-)

Sandy said...

Hey Sandi - these look so good. I love onions, and cooking with them. I esp. like sweet Vidalias! YUM.
Sandy

Sugar Bear said...

ooo - very interesting! Looks great.
Karla

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I enjoy onions and dishes that have them. I will try this for Sunday dinner.....Smiles

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Sandi~ there is no way I could grow an onion in this Alabama clay!
Michelle~ Not sweet, not spicy... more savory. A little pepper would kick it up and be good.
y'all just have to check out Mosaic Queen's birdhouse!

Anonymous said...

I have never had these onions before. Are they kind of like perl onions, or not so much?
This looks great!

Justabeachkat said...

Oh.My.Word! Those look incredibly yummy. I've never seen or heard of them, but you can bet I'll be looking for them.

Hugs!
Kat

Katie Zeller said...

Are these different than the old pearl onions? I always liked those...except they were a pain to peel - even with the blanching.
They look delicious!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

That does sound yummy, Sandi. I never think about doing onions as a side dish, but it sounds very gourmet!

How about this snow????

Rhoda

Unknown said...

I've never had these but that carmelized potion on them looks so delish! I will have to try this.

Justabeachkat said...

Hi there! Staying warm? No snow here, just very cold rain. Yuk!

I've tagged you for a meme.

Hugs!
Kat

Elle said...

Those look so gooooood! What a great combo of the onions, fruit and nuts.

Anonymous said...

Sandi - they look great. I know everyone loved this recipe when I made it for Christmas Dinner. I love the way the flavours come together - the sweetness of the caramelized onions, the apricots, and the soft crunch of the chestnuts.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Sandi!

Definitely on my Must-Cook list! Sorry we missed you and Bill this weekend.

Hope you enjoyed the snow.

Related Posts with Thumbnails