Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Sunday, January 13, 2008

Got Grits?

Over the holidays I was smart and put up a grits casserole for a weekend just like this.We were to lazy to do much of anything, except enjoy our time off. Even without much work we had a yummy breakfast.
Baked Garlic Cheese Grits
6 cups chicken broth
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups regular grits
3 rolls cheese spread with garlic
1/2 cup milk
4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup butter
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Preheat oven to 350°
In a large pan bring broth, salt, and pepper to a boil. Stir in the grits, and whisk until completely combined. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the grits are thick, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic cheese and milk. Gradually add the eggs and butter, stirring until the cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour the mixture into a sprayed casserole dish- or 2 smaller ones. Bake for 30 minutes. At this point you can freeze for a later day, or sprinkle with cheese and bake another 15-20 minutes. Serve either as a side dish or for a filling breakfast.
Y'all could just save it for company coming or a rainy day.
Sandi

22 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

Oh yum! I've got to write this one down.

My Mom and Aunt left yesterday so I've spent the day catching up on my blog reading...or trying to...I still have so much more. The shrimp recipe looks darn good too. I couldn't get the jeans video to work though. :-(

Hope your weekend was good.

Hugs!
Kat

Tina Leavy said...

ooh yum. nothing like good ole southern grits. yum yum.
hey..wishing you a lovely week!

Sandi McBride said...

ohh, I love a grits cassarole...think I'll run take one out of the freezer for lunch!!!
Thanks for the reminder
hugs
Sandi

Hope said...

Hi Sandi,
Evidently I wasn't raised far enough South cause I never did like grits. But after seeing this recipe, I may become MORE Southern!! Looks and sounds good!!

Hugs,
Hope

Dee Light said...

YUMMY!! Need I say more?

Emily said...

Enjoy your time off. Isn't it wonderful being lazy?
Enjoy those grits, too.

Sugar Bear said...

I LOVE grits. Have loved them since I was a little girl and first ventured south. My northern family thinks I'm crazy but they don't know what they are missing!
Karla

Cheryl said...

I can't believe I have never had grits. This recipe has everything in it I would love.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Kat~ That jeans video is busted =( I thought I saw it on your blog once tho...?
Goose & dee~ Yumm is right
Sandi~ not on the diet though, oh well.
Hope~ this is not just a bowl of grits
Emiline~ it was a lazy weekend... back to work now.
Karla~ we can keep it our secret
Cheryl~ you would love it!

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

We love us some grits here.LOL Thanks for the recipe.....

pam said...

Sandi, I am definitely bookmarking this, it sounds wonderful!

Unknown said...

I love grits, it just reminds me of being in the south. Looks like a great recipe!

Jill said...

Oh my heavens, that sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

I think she is saying my soup didn't look diet lol. Id lots rather have those grits=)

Anonymous said...

Sandi - I am looking forward to actually trying grits when we're in Savannah. One question though. . . . what is 3 rolls cheese spread with garlic?

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

The cheese rolls are very similar to VELVEETA =D That's what makes it so yummy!

Back Through Time said...

Ok that sounds, maybe good..........I usually only eat my grits at Cracker Barrel with butter and maple syrup. Can you send me some to try??, lol
Michelle

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

I love grits casserole. I wish my hubby would give it a try but he will only eat plain old grits with butter. He just doesn't know what he is missing out on!
Barbara

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Michelle~ Butter and maple syrup? that sounds more like oatmeal =D

Anonymous said...

Oh Man..I have no business reading your blog when I am hungry. Those grits sound wonderful. I printed off the recipe for that and the beach shrimp. Heading to the kitchen now...

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Hey! I'm catching up around here...
There is a lady at church who makes these grits...I told her last week when I see her I get hungry for those grits. She thinks it is funny but she hasn't come forth with any yet!
I have my mother reading the FF books and she is loving them :) I will one day get around to reading them too!

Vonda said...

Okay...I've got to try this one...we LOVE GRITS and of course as you know in Germany, their like, "What's a grit?" And we say, "No it's GRITS...PLURAL!" Who has ever heard of just eating ONE grit??? :) -V

Related Posts with Thumbnails