Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Friday, September 07, 2007

Pears

A cheese tray is always a nice things to have for your special Parisian fling. This is a fruit and cheese tray with a twist.



Stuffed Pears
3 ripe pears
1 round creamy swiss cheese
1 Tbs cream cheese
1/4 cup pecans
2 Tbs butter
1 Tbs sugar

Allow swiss cheese spread and cream cheese to soften at room temperature. Cream together and set aside. In a pan, melt butter and sugar. Stir in chopped pecans, toast lightly. Slice pears, spread each with swiss cheese and sprinkle with nuts.

*if it is going to be awhile before you serve- soak the pear slices in water with lemon juice to prevent browning.


A while back The Winemaker's Wife at Bonfire Vineyards had a contest for naming their wines. I suggested Slow Burn for their new Port... and this is my prize!
I have some pears still in the fridge... I am planning to use my port to poach some pears for a special dessert. Get the camera ready (and some spoons!)

Y'all stay tuned!
Sandi

22 comments:

dot said...

Those look wonderful!

barb said...

I have had this pear dish as well as with good fall tart apples. It is good isn't it.

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I haven't had this B4 but would like some right now. :) What?

Andi said...

My mouth is watering just looking at your photo of the pears!!!

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

You know, I weighed 98 pounds soakin' wet before I started blogging. Then I came upon all these recipes and the hips started getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Today, I am a moose. Thank you very much. I hope you're happy.

Oh all right! I'm lying. I am. I haven't weighed 98 pounds since 1973. Sorry. Just feels better to blame great cooks like you for my arse troubles. (yeah, I'm ashamed of myself. I'm headed to the freezer to get my Rocky Road ice cream so I can go sit in a corner and contemplate the error of my ways. And then I'm gonna go back to checking out all these beautiful recipes...)

Sandy McTier Designs said...

I have my spoon ready and will be right over! hehehe I wish. Maybe some day. We aren't that far apart.
Hope you are having a great weekend.
Blessings,
Sandy :0)

Tina Leavy said...

that looks really yummy..and the idea for the poached pears..sounds great too. hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Cheese, nuts and pears! All my favorite flavors - what a delicious treat!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Sandi this will be perfect tonight on the deck with our wine. Yes, I will think of Paris!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

This is a yummy treat! Y'all give it a try.
Kari, sugar, don't you know there are no calories in lookin!

Peabody said...

Pour me a glass of wine, those look fantastic!

Mallow said...

I'm looking forward to seeing those poached pears!

Jill said...

What a great name for a port! And those pears look divine. Definitely going on my "to try" list.

Gigi said...

The pears look delicious. I'm going to have to try this recipe!

Anonymous said...

YAY for Slow Burn making it safely to you!! The pear dish sounds divine!!

Debra from Bungalow said...

I love pears & cheese....yum. Today I bought some of the little ones.....seckle pears. (sp?)

JANET said...

Stuffed pears! That's a new one, and it looks scrumptious!

lululu said...

I love pear!!!! I love cheese!!! I can't believe you can actually put these 2 things together. The dish looks delicious.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Sandi, you've been eating a lot since I've been by last. That Parisian feast looks wonderful...yummmo! Love all that girlie food. Happy Birthday to your friend...I hit that one last year...ugghhhh!

Rhoda

Justabeachkat said...

Can't wait to try this!

Hugs!
Kat

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Yummy! Will have to try these being as pears are available right now! Thanks for sharing and nice to meet you!

Becky

Lisa said...

What? What? I adore Port! How cool to have one bearing "your" name. I must check that site out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails