Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Saturday, September 01, 2007

Grilled Pizza

SEC football starts today!
This starts a new season, a new battle.
If you remember, last November, Auburn won bragging right for 365 days. This is the beginning of a new era for Alabama fans... the Saban-Nation!

How 'bout some pizza to eat during the games?

I have a basket of fresh tomatoes from the market, my basil has survived the heat and the drought. Perfect! The secret here is the freshest ingredients.

Margherita Pizza
dough for one pizza
1 small can crushed tomatoes
2 roma tomatoes
bunch of basil leaves
pizza blend grinder
grated mozzarella cheese

Place the dough on a hot grill, cook until set on one side, 3-5 minutes. Flip dough. Smear the crust with tomatoes, top with slices of tomatoes and fresh basil. Sprinkle generously with spices from a pizza grinder. Top with cheese. Close the lid and cook 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and dough is cooked through. Allow to stand a few minutes before slicing.

Y'all enjoy!
Sandi

12 comments:

Sandi McBride said...

ummm...know what I'm doing for cookout Monday...I'll let you know how it goes...that and my famous Carolina Pulled Pork and no one will go away hungry!

dot said...

Hi Sandi!
I'd never heard of grilled pizza until I read a Patricia Cornwell book. I've always wanted to try it. Maybe I will one day. Thanks for the recipe!

mrsnesbitt said...

Sunday night is pizza night here! Love it!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I love making grilled pizza for parties -- I let each guest make his or her own pizza, from a whole bunch of toppings that I make ahead of time. Then we try to figure out what (or who) the shapes of the pizzas look like!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I love the smokey taste of grilled pizza! Another reason to keep the grill going year round!

Blue Zebra said...

Hi sandi Friday night are Pizza Club night for us at the zebra pen. Your pizza sounds wonderful!

So are you an Auburn gal or a Roll Tide fan? My niece just graduated from Auburn and went back for the game this weekend.

I'm an Aggie so we had our first last nite as well!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Sandi~ We'll be right over for some of that pulled pork!
Dot~ I like Patricia Cornwell... I don't remember any grilled pizza tho!
MrsNesbitt~ I've miss your dear!
Lydia~ what a great idea
TW~ Absolutely year round!
BZ~ War Eagle girl...Roll Tide guy. MY niece graduated last year too. Are we related some how?

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, my. goodness! I love margharita pizza. The best..I'll have to try to make one at home. Did I hear that Publix has pizza dough in their bakery dept?? I want some!

Rhoda

Tina Leavy said...

sounds good.
hope you had a good weekend.

Blue Zebra said...

sandi don't you know all Southerners are related? ;) On our dear old maternal grandmothah's side!

Ah, a mixed marriage! :D We have that hear too. An Aggie and an Owl. Could be worse though like yall we could be Aggie and Longhorn.

Did your niece go to Auburn? My niece's name is Catie Anne.

Heather said...

My favorite! We actually had the same thing yesterday. I haven;t tried the pizza blend grinder though. I'll have to look for it.
Heather

Jill said...

This looks divine. We love making special pizza as a family. I think we'll try this tomorrow night. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails