Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Cooking Light ~ 100 miles of Flavor

Jerry came up with the theme for this month's Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club. Our task was to find a recipe using products within 100 miles of our home. Our recipes all come from Cooking Light ... this was a bit of a challenge! I found my recipe HERE. I am really trying to eat more local foods. Shopping at the local markets not only gets fresher foods, but also supports the local Mom and Pops. We are all about that! In an attempt to stick with the 100 miles of flavor, I had to change the recipe up a bit. I used local pecans instead of walnuts. I also used basil from my garden, rather than the arugula that the recipe called for. Fresh peas from the market and orzo from the Fresh Market as well. The Parmesan isn't local; but I carried it back from my last trip to Italy... so I think it counts! Orzo with Pesto and Fresh Peas Pesto: 2 Tbs coarsely chopped walnuts 1 garlic clove, peeled 1 1/2 cups torn spinach 1 1/2 cups trimmed basil 3 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese 2 Tbs water 1 tsp lemon juice 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp black pepper 1 1/2 Tbs olive oil Remaining ingredients: 2 cups hot cooked orzo (about 1 cup uncooked rice-shaped pasta) and 1 cup shelled green peas. To prepare pesto, drop walnuts and garlic through food chute with food processor on; process until minced. Add spinach and next 6 ingredients (spinach through pepper); process until finely minced. With food processor on, slowly pour oil through food chute; process until well-blended. Cook the orzo in salted water until tender. Just before done, toss in the fresh peas and cook for 1 minute, drain. Combine pesto, orzo, and peas in a large bowl, and toss well. Serve warmed or at room temperature. Now let's see what everyone else has brought for our 100 mile Virtual Supper Club... Jerry has made Beef Tenderloin with a Mushroom Red Wine sauce. He used local beef, went to the mushroom farm, and barrels of red wine from Niagara. Jamie is bringing Grilled Ginger Lime Shrimp, using our fabulous Gulf Shrimp Val is bringing a Fallen Chocolate Cake with Cherry Red Wine Sauce with local ingredients from the Okanagan Valley MaryAnn has made a salad with Mixed greens with a Local Blueberry Vinaigrette Roz has made a Risotto with Porcini Mushrooms and Marscapone Cheese. Don't forget, that y'all are welcome to join in our virtual supper with the blog hop! Y'all enjoy~ Sandi

5 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This dish looks amazing Sandi. With the whirlwind of activity at Whistestop these past few months we love that you were able to bring such a tasty treat to the Virtal Supper Club.

Anonymous said...

porca miseria - the spacing! ARGH

Html critique aside - this looks great. I'm shocked that you had the time in the midst of wedding preparations to even think about cooking - you do rock - and so does this selection.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I have tried to fix this HTML over and over... Porca Miseria is right!

Aggie said...

I love that whole wheat orzo!! I am drooling over this entire dish. I am so looking forward for my basil to grow in so I can make pesto. This is my kind of meal...love this month's theme!

Jamie said...

What a great side dish to go with Jerry's Beef Tenderloin. I love cooking with orzo. Thanks for "bringing" to the supper club. I'm sure you are recooperating from all the wedding activities.

Related Posts with Thumbnails