Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cake Topper ~ Tutorial

When Brooke first started looking for a cake topper for her wedding cake, she found some personalized clothes-pin dolls that she liked. There are several on ETSY. Of course my first response was... we can do that! The first (of many) trip to Hobby Lobby I stocked up on supplies. The wooden clothes-pins come in a large bag, I also bought plenty of wooden balls, One pack of molding clay, I picked up a skein of flesh colored floss, and hair colored paint. I had some pliable wire and needle nosed plyers. Most important was craft glue!
I took a sharp knife an whittled a groove in the back of the 'doll' to have a place to set the wire arms.
After the wire was glued securely, I wrapped them with the flesh colored floss and glued the ends.
Next, I got busy with the paint. Black paint for the groom's pants. I fashioned the hair styles to match them both. I used the molding clay to create some curls for the bride and painted them all to match. Pieces of ribbon for the clothes. I snipped and glued. Waited for it to dry, then glued another layer.
Here you can see that they are beginning to take shape. Wired ribbon worked perfectly for the bride's skirt, and of course she had to have a short skirt on under the longer wedding skirt. I used a bit of black fabric to create the grooms jacket.

Once I got to the tiny details, it really got fun. I had to make lots of calls to be sure I got things right. How many buttons on the jacket? Beard or no beard? Your hair on the left or the right? What color flowers? Garter belt with a blue flower? Blue shoes with a little bling! Here is a close-up of the hair and her little starfish. The finished bride had a pretty veil with starfish too. The simple faces were Holly's artistic touch!
Since this was a beach wedding, they had to be standing in the sand. I used a sponge and LOTs of glue for that. I even had some tiny seashells to add. The finished product was just perfect.

Don't y'all think?
Sandi

13 comments:

Lina Thomlinson said...

Excellent job! I love all of the little details, especially the bride's dress.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Absolutley precious!!!!
I thnk you may have you a new business! Really!
So cute!!!

pam said...

That is so cute.

Palma said...

VERY cute!

Chef E said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chef E said...

I goofed Sandy, was thinking you lived near Tenn for that gathering...so here is a redo comment LOL

What a great job! So cute too...I saw the post for the cake and had not taken a close look, but now its like I would have said the same if I saw something...your very creative Sandy!

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hi Dear Sandi
That is some cake topper.. my goodness you are so clever... Just been looking back at past posts too.. and I agree that those little white dots on the cake are fab.. reminds me of those dainty white ribbons one finds..

I'm glad the wedding day was such a success... everyone looks to have had a wonderful time..

have a great week.. ciao xxxx Julie

Heather Ozee said...

just ADORABLE! Fabulous job ;)

plumbing said...

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Sooooo glad you linked these. Still, so adorable. I really REALLY think you should sell these.
Really.
:)

A Tale of Two Cities said...

So very, very clever, and now personal and unique for them. I'm sure it will be a wonderful keepsake for years to come...

Char said...

adorable and something she will treasure forever!

Sommer said...

Oh adorable! There are so many days I wish I could do my wedding over. The things I love now are so different than they were when I was 22! I hope you will share this at my VIP party today... http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/vip-party-11.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails