Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Hey Chick~

I was trying to think of something creative to make with some beautiful shrimp that I picked up last week. Something light and easy for the summer.

We rarely eat chickpeas, except at a salad bar... I've never thought they had much flavor. This is a recipe I found and thought I'd give it a try. These little chickpeas are good for Bill's cholesterol... that's a good thing.

Roasted Chickpeas with Shrimp
1 pound shrimp, peeled
1 can chickpeas
2 green onions sliced
2 tsp lemon juice
2 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp paprika
1/4 cup italian parsley
Preheat oven to 400°
Rinse the chickpeas and place in a bowl with onions, parsley, lemon juice and oil. Toss in paprika, generously salt and pepper to taste. Allow to sit until ready to roast. Peel and clean shrimp.
Pour the chickpeas onto a roasting pan. Place in a hot oven and roast for 10-15 minutes, stir. Top with shrimp and roast for another 5-10 minutes until the shrimp are pink and curled.

I was a sceptic until I tried a bite... this is wonderful! The chickpeas take on a different texture when roasted, the shrimp is perfect. No need for cocktail sauce, just a big salad and some napkins.

Y'all enjoy!
Sandi

7 comments:

Debra from Bungalow said...

I love chick peas. LOVE them!

Char said...

I need to try roasting them because I've heard that too about the flavor. This is the second chickpea recipe I've seen posted today.

Chef E said...

That sounds like a great idea- I have this bag of dried, and a can that are sitting, and last night I was think "what the heck with these chickpeas", but I have never roasted them...

Justabeachkat said...

I've got to try this. I love chickpeas and shrimp, but I've never had roasted chickpeas. Thanks for the recipe.

Hugs!
Kat

Joyce said...

I copied this as it sounds different and I plan to make this for my cooking group. Thanks for postiing.
Joyce

Kath said...

Just stopped by from Dutch Girl Cooking! Will be back to check out a few of your recipes!!

Olga said...

haha, I looked at the dish and thought maybe it was inspired from one I've made before :)

Love shrimp and chickpeas together.

Related Posts with Thumbnails