Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dress 'em up

Most of y'all know the story... Our family owned the WhistleStop Cafe for almost 30 years. On the WhistleStop web site is a whole history of the cafe and all about the movie 'Fried Green Tomatoes at the WhistleStop Cafe'. It is fun reading for a rainy day.

I have posted our fried green tomato recipe several times. Link here for our recipe and this is Fannie's recipe. Either way... we are coming to the end of tomato season, so this is fried green tomato season. (You can also just order the batter mix!)

Here is a way to dress them up a little... like wearing your white gloves to sunday school.
These fried green tomatoes are just sprinkled with a little feta cheese. It is the perfect compliment to the tang of the green tomatoes. Perfection.
It can't get much easier than that!
Y'all enjoy~
Sandi

9 comments:

Char said...

and I can testify the batter is yummy!

Beth said...

Mmmmm! I have never put feta cheese on my fried green 'maters. I'll have to try that.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, girl! I just had to go check out the Pensacala pics. Kat told me all about going to Duh! I just go there one of these days too. SHe & I had a blast today out looking around as usual. I have been SO behind with my blog reading, I have missed so much. I just can't keep up. HOpe y'all are doing well. We are suffering at the beach. :)

Tea said...

Mmmmmmmmm!!
I never realized that your Cafe was in that movie!! Love your blog and I`ve been such a bad blogger and visitor.

tea
xo

Lisa Pogue said...

OMG, I have never had fried green tomatoes. I've always wanted to try them. But HOLY COW add a little feta would you??? I could just lick the darn screen if it would just give me a taste!!!! I really need to come to your restaurant!!!!

barb cabot said...

Fried green tomatoes...yum, I only had them once in Savannah but I loved them.

Maya said...

I was just thinking about fried green tomatoes, and how last summer I didn't see any green tomatoes here at the market in Adelaide. Since we are just getting ready to head back into the tomato season here Down Under I have to try and find some. Can't wait to try out your recipe. I used to make them all the time when I was back in NM.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Char~ You can do a commercial for us anytime.
Rhoda~ I'm glad you and Kat had a great time... wish I were there.
Tea~ I'm just glad you stopped in.
Barb~ that brings back great memories of our Savannah GTG. But I'll say mine are betterthan Paula Deen's.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Oh, I bet! YUM!

Related Posts with Thumbnails