Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Thursday, April 29, 2010

Pomodori e Vino ~soup

If you saw me post earlier in the week, y'all saw my big goof. I made the wrong soup!
As a part of the Pomodori e Vino Challenge we have divided the cookbook, Essentials of Italian Cooking, into 7 different daily recipes. We each have a day and a new recipe.
Somehow I confused the Potato and Split Pea Soup with Potato and Green Pea Soup. So tonight I whipped up another pot of potato soup. I can say both were great!
Potato with Green Pea Soup
The thing I love most about The Queen of Italian cooking is the way she describes the details of each recipe. It is the process that brings out each flavor. This soup is a very simple soup with onions, potatoes, and green peas. In her cookbook, Marcella has a beautiful way of describing the process~ 'put in the butter, oil, sliced onion, and a large pinch of salt. ... cook the onion, turning it occasionally, until it becomes very soft and has shed all it's liquid. Then uncover the pan, turn up the heat to medium and cook, stirring once or twice, until all the liquid has bubbled away and the onion has become colored a tawny gold.'The meat broth that I had made and frozen provided a flavorful base.
I may not have cooked the potatoes until they were soft enough to get the right texture. I used frozen petite peas, to me they have the best fresh flavor. The combination of potatoes with peas and caramelized onions was a fantastic flavor.Y'all don't forget to Follow Along on facebook... everyday a new adventure!
Ciao y'all,
Sandi

4 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Sandi Marcella Hazan is one of my favorites, and her cookbook Essentials of Italian Cooking Is the Italian version of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

Fresh peas will be out soon ...can't wait to try this soup!

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

This sounds delicious, I must make this soup since besides my slight lemon addiction I also have one with peas :o)

barb cabot said...

Sandi thanks for this post. It looks wonderful and I love this Pomodori e Vino group. Will definitely try this.

Fresh Local and Best said...

This soup looks delicious and wonderfully simple to make. I like her directions because it asks you to pay attention to how the ingredients cook and judge when to take the next step.

This is a great challenge!

Related Posts with Thumbnails