Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Cooking Light ~ Fresh and local

Our Virtual Supper Club for June is featuring 'fresh and local'.  . .
Not easy since I am actually still in Italy.

I decided to combine my fresh and my local when I went to Cooking Light and found this recipe for Tomato Basil Pesto Pizza
I used my fresh basil and tomatoes before I flew out . . . and made a quick and easy pizza ~ representing my current  'local'.
I did decide to try Rudi's gluten free pre-made pizza crust (which I thought wasn't bad . . . until I landed in Rome )
Tomato Basil Pesto Pizza
1 prebaked pizza crust (such as Mama Mary's brand)
  Cooking spray 2 tablespoons commercial pesto
1 cup (4 ounces) thinly sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
2 cups chopped tomato (about 2 large)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
 
Before I post the directions from Cooking Light ~ I beg you ~ take an extra 2 minutes and make your own pesto. Fresh basil, a few pine nuts, and olive oil to blend. It will taste so much better.

 Now . . . the directions from Cooking Light:
Place crust on a baking sheet; bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Spread pesto evenly over crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top with mozzarella cheese slices and tomato; sprinkle with pepper. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes or until cheese melts and crust is golden. Sprinkle with basil.
The best part of making your own basil is this ~
Scooping the blender clean with a ball of fresh mozarella.

I cooked my pizza on a hot grill ~ and then we enjoyed it with a glass of wine on the porch.



 

Now . . . let's see what everyone else has brought for our Fresh and Local feast.
Jerry has made Risotto with Shrimp and Asparagus
Val is making Baby Beets with Walnuts, Goat Cheese and Greens
 Susan is bringing Spinach with a Garlic Vinaigrette
Sara is making Rhubarb Maple Philo Stacks
Roz has a bowl of Tomato Basil Soup

Y'all enjoy ~
Sandi

3 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love quick, easy and tasty especially during the summer months when we can throw pizza on the grill. Thanks for joining us all the way from Italy Sandi!

Susan Lindquist said...

We have pizza once a week and use all the good veg we can get ... that fresh pesto adds so much to the flavour! Delish! And easy too!

Sarah said...

Now I am craving pizza! Pesto is super on a grilled pizza. Are you really in Italy right now? Lucky duck.

Related Posts with Thumbnails