Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Sunday, November 13, 2011

Novel Food 'Beyond the Pasta'

Simone at Briciole is once again hosting our Novel Food event.
You can see All of my Novel Food Posts since 2007. . . that's a lot of reading (and a lot of eating). I love the idea of posting a recipe from a novel that you have recently read.
I am posting another recipe from my newest favorite Novel 'Beyond the Pasta' by Mark Leslie.

This book is a fun read... especially if you are at all interested in travel, food, or Italy.
That describes me pretty well!
The truth is . . . It was the last minute and I hadn't come up with anything for Novel Food. My copy of Beyond the Pasta was sitting right next to my knitting basket, where I can thumb through my favorite parts of the book. Page 17. Day One of Mark's trip to Italy. He is talking about his arrival to Italy and welcome into the family. This is the primi from Nonna's kitchen.
Frittata con Zucchine e Cipolla
Zucchini and Onion Frittata
2 Tbs olive oil
1 medioum onion minced
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup water (divided)
3 medium zucchini
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
6 eggs beaten
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano
Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet. When the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic, cook for one minute. Add 1/2 cup of water and cook for 2-3 mintues until the water has evaporated. Add another 1/4 cup water and cook another 2-3 mintues. Stir in the zucchini rounds, salt pepper and the remaining 1/4 cup water. Lower the heat, cover and simmer. Stir occasionally until the zucchini is soft.
Meanwhile, beat the eggs and stir in the Parmigiano. We the zucchinii s soft, remove the cover and cook until the moisture has evaporated. Stir in the beaten eggs, making sure the veggies are evenly distributed. Cook until the frittata starts to set. With a spatula loosen the edges of the frittata and with a quick shake, flip the frittata. Cook the bottom side for another 2-3 mintues.
As Mark says... if flipping the frittata seems daunting, place a dinner plate over the frittata and turn the pan over, inverting the frittata on to the plate. Slide the frittata back into the pan and finish cooking.

Or . . . you can do it the way I do and finish the top under the broiler. I guess I need to spend some time in Nonna's Kitchen to be brave enough to flip a frittata!
Gail and I are in the process of planning our next great escape . . . maybe I should take it 'Beyond the Pasta'.
Ciao y'all~
Sandi

8 comments:

Mark Leslie said...

Sandi,
Grazie for the 2nd feature! I am glad that I sit within arms reach - and so close to two needles, too. Ha!
I like that you featured the frittata. It is such a "go to" recipe in an Italian household. Plus, if you keep the ingredients simple and amount of the cheese minimal (unlike its cousin the omelet), the frittata really makes a quick "light" meal.
Buon Appetito~ Mark

Simona Carini said...

I love frittata and I never tire of posting new recipes for it (I believe there are five in the last few months). As Mark remarks, it is a go to recipe in Italian households: make sure you have eggs in the fridge and you can make a frittata with little else and you have a meal. Thank you so much for your contribution to Novel Food.

Rachel said...

Yum yum. This sounds really good! Great post for Novel Food.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Mark~ I really think we need to share that gelato ... next time we are both in Rome.
Simona~ A good frittata is comfort food when I'm to tired for the whole kitNkaboodle!
Rachel~ thanks for stopping by :-)

Anonymous said...

sounds like a good book for me. i love 'fun reads'. your frittata looks simple and good to make. something for me. yay!

Jo said...

I love frittata. And what a great sounding book! It sounds like a great book to read while traveling through Italy.

Phil in the Kitchen said...

Really nice choice for the event - I've just got to check out that book.

librariane said...

I agree with some of the others--frittatas are a lovely comfort food that can be whipped up very easily. And I like the 'new' use for zucchini!

Related Posts with Thumbnails