Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Thursday, November 24, 2011

Flavors... Brussels Sprouts

If y'all are following along. . . you know that the flavor of the week is Brussels Sprouts.
I bet you didn't know that they are actually called 'brusselS sproutS'. The folks at Piggly Wiggly were impressed with my vegetable knowledge (NOT)
The brussels sprout is a vegetable that can be very bitter. If they are steamed or overcooked, they release a sulfur odor ~ which is why most people don't like them. They also will stink up the kitchen. However, if they are roasted, they loose that bitter flavor and become a toasty treat. I promise y'all ~ this is the only way to enjoy them!I checked the Flavor Bible and decided to improve my normal recipe. I have Capitalized the flavors that are recommended.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta
2 tablespoons OLIVE OIL
2 cups diced PANCETTA
3 cups baby Brussels sprouts
2 cloves GARLIC
2 Tbs THYME
1/4 cup PARMIGIANO
SALT
Preheat oven to 400°
In a large skillet add olive oil and diced pancetta. Let pancetta render, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and lightly brown. Remove from the heat. In the meantime, slice the Brussels sprouts in half and trim the edges. Toss with thyme, pancetta and olive oil. Roast brussels sprouts at 400° for 40 minutes, until dark and crispy. Add the Parmigiano while they are still warm. Salt generously just before serving.

Join us for the ride on Facebook and our blog Flavors.

Happy Thanksgiving to each of you. I hope you are spending the day with family and friends. We have so many things to be Thankful for ~ the flavors in our lives.
Happy Cooking y'all~
Sandi

3 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Yes I have been told they are Brussel"s" sprouts by those in the know. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Sandi!!

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Happy Thanksgiving Sandi
I hope you and your family had a wonderful day!!! These roasted sprouts sound fantastic.. I am a little partial to the Brussels Sprout cooked the right way!!

Have a lovely weekend.. ciao xxx Julie

YTSL said...

I know I'm in a minority but I looove Brussel sprouts! Roasted is good, boiled too, actually! :b

Related Posts with Thumbnails