Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Thursday, October 27, 2011

Flavors ~ Duck

The Flavor for this week is Duck. I thought for sure duck would not something that is easily found at the Piggly Wiggly. Surprise to me. . . In the freezer department. I am not sure about the quality of the duck~ although with enough of the cherries and red wine. . .

The Flavor Bible describes duck as 'loud' . . . which reminds me of Daffy Duck (I confess~ I never liked that cartoon) Bill was not excited about this weeks challenge; I don't think it had anything to do with the Daffy Duck.

Back to the flavor profile ~ Duck pairs nicely with citrus and fruits, with savory like rosemary and mushrooms, of course with Thai and Asian cuisine. In my recipe, I have capitalized the foods that are recommended by the Flavor Bible.
Duck Breasts with Cherries in Red Wine
3 Tbs SUGAR
2 Tbs water
1/2 cup dried CHERRIES
2 Tbs sugared GINGER
3 Tbs BALSAMIC VINEGAR
1 Tbs OLIVE OIL
2 boneless DUCK breasts
2 cloves GARLIC
1 1/2 cup MERLOT
1 ORANGE
Place the cherries and wine in a bowl and allow to soak.
Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan, cook on low to melt the sugar. Bring to a boil and allow to come to a rolling boil for 4-5 minutes (do not stir). Remove from the heat and add vinegar and cherries (reserve the wine for later)stirring as needed. Set on a low heat and allow the fruit and juices to caramelize.
Heat olive oil, add minced garlic and cook until clear. Pan sear duck breasts 5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and set aside. Add wine to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce by half, then add to the cherries. Continue to boil until it reaches a thickened consistency.
Serve duck breast sliced on a bed of oranges, with cherry sauce and orange zest.
I served mine with orange flavored cous-cous. . . and the rest of that bottle of wine
Waste Not ~ Want Not !
Join us for the ride on Facebook and our blog Flavors.

Happy Cooking y'all~
Sandi

2 comments:

nanny said...

I love duck. I usually have some given to me during the hunting season. I guess my favorite way to cook them is (if they are whole and picked) boil them with onion and carrot in the cavity. Use the broth in dressing. It is so rich and delicious!

The hard part is having someone pick them and then give them away...guys just don't enjoy picking/ha

Justabeachkat said...

Kinda sad to admit, but I've never ever tried duck. Sad, right?

Hugs,
Kat

Related Posts with Thumbnails