Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Monday, February 01, 2010

Tradition~ with a little change

Big Daddy, also known as Mr Mac at the WhistleStop Cafe, has been known as the best turkey salad maker in the world. After Thanksgiving and Christmas... after any occasion calling for a roasted turkey, a big bowl of turkey salad would appear. (then quickly disappear!)
I decided it was time to tackle the job and perfect my own version of Mr. Mac's turkey salad. The first thing that had to go was the jar of mayo, I also couldn't spend all day mincing turkey, celery, and onions.
Face it... I would never be able to make it as good as he did, but this is close!
Rather than mince a turkey breast, I pulled out the old meat grinder. Do you have one in the back of some cabinet? It has been a while since I've used it~ so I ran some bread through first just to clean it. Then the turkey. Grinding the turkey makes it creamier... less mayo! The most important part is to have a helper in the kitchen for any accidental spills.Turkey Salad
2 cups turkey (light and dark meat)
1/2 cup dill relish.
1/2 cup sweet relish
1 cup minced celery and onion
1/4 cup lite mayo
1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt
Salt and pepper to taste
Mince all ingredients and stir to combine. Add the yogurt last, using only as much as needed to make a smooth consistency. (may be more or less than 1/2 cup) Generous sea salt and crushed pepper to taste.
If you have never had Turkey Salad~ it is similar to chicken salad, but with more flavor. This lighter version is great. Give it a try!
Y'all enjoy!
Sandi

11 comments:

nanny said...

Looks wonderful! I love chicken salad...know this would be delicious!

Char said...

yum! my aunt that makes hers with the grinder sends the onions and a bell pepper through it too

koralee said...

Memories are coming back to me as I look at your meat grinder.....my grandma had one just like that. Your turkey salad sounds amazing. xo

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Nanny~ This is a lot like a chicken salad... only better
Char~ i didn't think about using it for the veggies. I will have to try that next time.
Koralee~ Sometimes these old grinders are better than a new fangled processor.

Cora said...

A great idea and healthy too. I wondered what I could do with that old meat grainder...now if I could just find it! :)

Dar said...

sounds great and I can have that...Thanks for sharing once again girl. I've made a similar one with tuna and chicken but the I'm gonna give the turkey a run. Thanks again
God Bless

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Yummy! I never thought to use my grinder. I like the addition of yougurt which makes it more calorie friendly! I need that these days. :-)

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Cora~ I'd start looking in the back of the bottom shelf :-)
Dar~ you will like the turkey... take my word on it.
Pat~ I am trying to stay on the healthy eating track.

Baked Alaska said...

My Mom had a meat grinder like that. Used to grind up leftover roast beef I remember.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

What a precious helper!

Stargazer said...

That... is a beautiful piece of machinery.

Related Posts with Thumbnails