Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Thursday, February 11, 2010

A day at the Cafe

Virginia and I met at the WhistleStop Cafe for lunch. It was the first time I've been to the Cafe in years... and now I am thinking~what a shame! The McMichaels' go a long way back with the cafe. Here is the history of the WhistleStop Cafe for anyone who is interested. I have also posted on the working kitchen, about the years Mom and Dad spent serving meals to generations of families in Birmingham.
It was 27 years ago when Fannie Flagg walked in and told mom she was going to write a book about her Aunt Bess, who had owned the cafe before Dad decided to buy it. Many of the stories in Fried Green Tomatoes at the WhistleStop Cafe are based on tales from those early years. The building hasn't changed in many years, even though we sold the cafe in 2000. The food is a s good as ever!

Not exactly on the diet... but what the Heck?? Everyone has to fudge sometimes.

Y'all enjoy,

Sandi

9 comments:

Tracy Bentley said...

that looks so good. We have been wanting to come and visit the cafe and do a little railfanning. I have the Fannie Flag Cookbook with all these great down home receipes. We hope to get up there real soon.

Chef E said...

I also have a Fanny Flag book, and love me some fried green tomatoes!

Nice to go back to the good ole days and reminisce!

Chef E said...

I also have a Fanny Flag book, and love me some fried green tomatoes!

Nice to go back to the good ole days and reminisce!

nanny said...

So fascinating.....I want to eat there sometime.....Large order of green tomatoes for me!!

Bo said...

Nothing beats good old country cooking...I will definitely be eatting there soon.

Joyce said...

Now that looks like perfect comfort food for a cold day and it is so cold here today:) Now I could eats tons of those delicious fried green tomatoes from the cookbook. Happy Valentine's day and you should have a bloggers lunch in your area to meet up with all the local blog gals. It was so much fun:)
Joyce

Meals by Misty said...

I live about 3 minutes from this cozy place! Its one of Sunday traditions.

Tanna said...

Sandi, I just want to know did your order barbeque?? ;) My goodness that food looks fabulous! Like my kind of place. I travel through Birmingham going to Virginia to see my daughter. I will have to put this on my food stop list!!

Stephie said...

Wow! That all looks so goood. Must visit someday. Thanks for the post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails