Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Melting Pot

I had a great time last week at Birmingham Bake & Cook . There was a fun cooking class that I wanted to be a part of. John Dooley from The Melting Pot came to show us some of the secrets of fondue.
Y'all want to know what I learned?There are very few secrets!
Fondue is simple and fun. Having an electric fondue pot is nice... but not a necessity.
The first 'recipe' was to cook meats~ steak, chicken or shrimp.

Coq au Vin Fondue
3 3/4 cups warm water
1 1/2 cups burgundy wine
3/4 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
1/4 cups chopped scallions
3 Tbs minced onion
2 Tbs minced garlic
1 Tbs diced celery
1 Tbs diced carrot
2 Tbs kosher salt
1 Tbs freshly ground pepper
Bring all ingredients to a rapid simmer over medium high heat.
Keep the liquid at a very hot simmer during the cooking process.

Beef and chicken should be but into 1-2inch chunks, this can be marinated ahead of time (use WhistleStop Marinade !).
Shrimp is best cooked if already peeled. To cook the meat use long handled skewers and spear each piece separately. Cook steak and chicken for about 2 minutes each. Shrimp would be cooked until pink and curled.

We also did a chocolate fondue for dipping fruits, cakes, cookies and marshmallows. I was good and only had one taste. That recipe will have to wait until I can make it in my own kitchen.
Y'all enjoy!
Sandi

11 comments:

Char said...

i love the melting pot!!! especially the dessert. yum

The Old White Barn said...

This was a great post - I have to admit, I was a little intimidated by fondue. Good, fun info - Thanks,

Chef E said...

When I had my company in Dallas we did a fondue class and tasting 110 people lined up outside. People really like this, and most have a set they can dust off in the closet!

I am hoping to do another one, it is so much fun- No double dipping though! LOL Now I want cheese...

nanny said...

I have never made or eaten fondue but would love to!!!!

Beth said...

I have never had foudue either. I want to try. We have a Melting Pot restaurant not too far from me in Chattanooga. From what I hear, it's GOOD!

Justabeachkat said...

I haven't been to a Melting Pot since we lived in Nashville, but we have one here in town.

Yum...you KNOW my favorite would be the chocolate, right?

Hugs!
Kat

Chef Aimee said...

I am so glad we have a Melting Pot by me...its so yummy~one of my favorite places. This fondue recipe is a perfect cure to the January blues.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I have fondue set I haven't used in a long time...maybe Superbowl game day would be a good time to dust it off and try this.

Loved T.R.O.U.B.L.E. in the post below!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Char and Kat~ who doesn't love chocolate dessert?
Blackberry Jam~ no secrets!
E~ I am way impressed! That is a lot of fondue forks.
Nanny &Beth~ now you can fondue too.
Aimee~ January blues or February hearts. :-)
Pat~ I was thinking about the superbowl too... a fun party!

koralee said...

Oh my I so love fondue...I could eat it every single day. Especially the desert ones. Enjoy!

Cooking tips said...

Love the melting pot and fondue. Check out this best cherry pie recipe. It is to die for!

Related Posts with Thumbnails