Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Thursday, January 28, 2010

Citrus Salmon

We have been working really hard to stick to the lighter, healthier eating plan. It is hard, but not impossible.

Even though salmon is a little higher in calories than a chicken breast, it is full of the healthy Omega fatty acids. I could eat salmon everyday~ which, it turns out, is very likely to happen.
Citrus Salmon with Agave Nectar
4 salmon fillets
1 Tbs agave nectar
orange zest
1 Tsp red pepper flakes
sea salt and ground pepper
Place salmon skin side down on a broiler pan. Combine orange zest and pepper flakes with agave nectar. Brush agave nectar on top of the fillet, Salt and Pepper generously. Broil until the salmon flakes easily (about 15 minutes), and the tops are browned. The pan can be moved down a shelf it the agave is browning to quickly.

Citrus/Fennel Topping~
1 grapefruit, pieces removed
1 orange, pieces removed
1 cup fennel, thinly sliced
1/4 cup green onion, sliced
2 tsp olive oil
Combine. Toss gently and set aside.

Serve salmon with citrus topping.
You can see that the salmon was perfect for dinner. The great part was that I had plenty of citrus fennel topping left for my salad at work the next day. Smart cooking!
Y'all enjoy,
Sandi

10 comments:

bj said...

We, too, have just embarked on a healthy eating plan.
Altho I don't care for fish, I will follow you, looking for good healthy recipes. We've been on the South Beach Diet for 2 weeks and I would absolutely KILL for a juicy cheeseburger with FRIES !! :o)

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I love it when you post recipes. I have used a few and loved them. Thanks for sharing.

Wobegon Cottage said...

This looks really good. I am eating Salmon at least every other week. I am trying to include more fish but living in the mid-west, now, my choices are limited and Salmon,although frozen is one of the few fishes I will eat. Wild caught from Alaska. When I go home for vacations I fill up on seafood.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

BJ~ I saw on your blog where you are drinking dunkin'donuts coffee...almost like the real thing.
Magnolia~ I'll do my best to keep the good recipes coming.
Alice~ I have plenty of good salman recipes. I'll share.

Chef Aimee said...

I love fish but don't make it as often as I should...I take Omega supplements, but would much rather be getting it all in the form of this gorgeous salmon you made!

Dar said...

Bill and I have salmon at least once a week. Your Citrus recipe sounds great but I have never seen Agave Nectar in my neck of the woods...north central WI...
We just last night had Sesame Crusted Salmon Fillets with my homemade tartar sauce that was to die for...so good..and so good cold too
Thanks for all the fun recipes to try. You take the boredom out of winter dulldrums.
Bless You and have a great weekend

tiny homes said...

Hmmm, that looks pretty yummy and tasty. I think I will try to have that for tomorrow's supper. I love it.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Aimee~ I'm sure you'd have to eat a lot of salmon to = the supplements
Dar~ that crusted salmon looks good... I need to check it out.
Tiny~ enjoy!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Had to stop by cause of the cute blog name and then i find this wonerful blog....that Whistle Stop box on your sidebar...i have that in my pantry...it's apple crisp mix...bought it cause the box was so cute and i live in the old historic railroad district in san luis obipos, ca...

and the food looks so good....

more later
kary

Barbara said...

I hate to admit it, we love fish, but neither Roy nor I have tasted Salmon....can you believe it? Maybe this is the recipe for us.

Barbara

Related Posts with Thumbnails