Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Monday, November 10, 2008

More Sourdough~

I tried out my Kudzu on some sourdough biscuits. The first batch was a little heavy and bland. I added some whole wheat flour and more baking powder in the second batch and they were much, much better.

This is the recipe I used, adapted from an old sourdough cookbook I picked up at the thrift store.
Whole Wheat Sourdough Biscuits
1 cup sourdough starter~ feed your starter the night before and let stand overnight
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup milk
Pre heat oven to 375°

Mix dry ingredients together. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add in milk and sourdough starter. The dough should be smooth. Knead onto a floured surface. Set aside and allow dough to rise. Press out to 1 inch thick and cut with a biscuit cutter. Bake 12-15 minutes until golden.



I am finding that using any recipe straight up is hard because my starter is very thin... not at all thick and bubbly like the starter I used to have. (This is a potato flake and sugar feeder). My 'kudzu' does work well, I just have to balance the liquids to find the right consistency. I haven't managed a loaf of bread yet. I'd love to get my hands on a thick sponge.





Y'all have any ideas?
Sandi

4 comments:

Lisa Pogue said...

I can smell those biscuits now!!

Fifi Flowers said...

MY idea is that I would make a great taste tester... LOL
I adore sourdough bread, rolls, etc... YUM!!!

Theresa said...

Thanks for posting. I can't wait to try these. They look great!!

Darius T. Williams said...

Lord!!! I bet this was something good!

-DTW
[www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com]

Related Posts with Thumbnails