Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Easy as Pie

I needed something warm to go with my Rum Raisin Ice Cream. How about a warm apple galette? If you've never made it before, a galette is kind of like an apple pie~ without the pie plate. I have talked about my bad habit of cheatin' in the kitchen. That little tip makes this 'easy as pie'.

I have some Macadamia Nut Liqueur that a friend brought me back from Hawaii. I'll use that in place of the rum~ bet it will be just as yummy.

Apple Galette
5 tart apples, sliced
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup rum
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbs butter
1 egg
Crust for a 9 inch pie

Soak the raisins in the liqueur (or in rum). Slice the apples and cover with brown sugar. Melt the butter in a skillet and cook the apples and sugar until thickened. Drain the alcohol off the raisins and add them to the apples. Turn off the heat and allow to cool. Roll out the pie crust into a circle (or use a pre-made crust). Spoon the apples into the center of the dough. Fold up the edges of the crust around the apples. Brush with the beaten egg. Bake in a 375° oven for 10-12 minutes.
These can also easily be made into individual servings with smaller rounds of dough. With a scoop of it is the perfect dessert.
Y'all enjoy,
Sandi

6 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sandi!

This wuld be nice for Thanksgiving day too, to go along with the pumpkin pie!

Hugs, Pat in NYC

Darius T. Williams said...

This was perfect - I bet this was great!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Oh, that looks so good!
I've made something similar with pre-made puff pastry dough.
Great idea about the small individual ones...I think I'll try that!

Kimberly :)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

have mercy!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

HI, Sandi, we made it to The Red Bar last night! Didn't do dinner cause we were SO full from Dewey Destin for lunch, but WOW, Kat told me about the apple dumpling with ice cream & that's what I had. With coffee..it was fantastic! Loved the atmosphere of that place. WE stayed for about an hour & listened to some jazz, then headed back home. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Pat~ that would be a great treat!
Kimberly~ I'll have to come over and check it out.
Rhoda~ I'm glad y'all went to The Red Bar. I'll look forward to your post on it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails