Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Saturday, June 02, 2007

Stylish Sangria

I have this great jar that I found at Target. I just had to have it for my sangria! It is right up there with the 'not most practical' items in my kitchen. But I had to have it anyway. Folks, sometimes we have to sacrifice for style!


Sangria
1 large bottle red wine
3/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup sugar
slices of orange, lemon, lime, apples
Mix all ingredients together the night before. Add sugar more, or more, to taste. I freeze the slices of orange, lemon, and lime to put in the pitcher as ice cubes.


Bill didn't quite agree with the style issue~ and I will admit it did get a little exciting when the spout came loose. A little epoxy and I'll make sure that doesn't happen again.


Several months ago I was tagged for a MeMe to list 6 weird things. I painfully made my list. Momma bear, who is actually an Alabama Bear In Exile has tagged me again with the weird list. Now the list has gone from 6 to 8! (that just proves that there is exaggeration in this blogsphere)

Needless to say I don't have anymore weird things that I want to be public knowledge. So I turned to the 'co-blogger' on this WhistleStop Cooking blog. Now~ I am still waiting for his list of new years promises to post...So I had to threaten with a list of my own.

Here is Bill's list of 8 weird things~
*He rinses his ice before using it.
*He is born and raised in the south, but doesn't like pecans.
*He can add a column of numbers faster than anyone I know...this may come from practice adding high numbers in dominoes.
*He pays bills months ahead~ letting Alabama Power hold the money~ because he hates writing checks.
*At the cafe, he loved when the lunch rush was over. He would get a scoop of everything and wash it down with sweet tea.
*He dunks cheese toast in his coffee.
*He organizes his entire life on yellow legal pads and still has lists from years back.
*He was an engineer on Norfolk-Southern for years before he came back home to work at the cafe and start Whistlestop Products.
*...Oh, that is already 8?


Now we are s'posed to pass this on to 8 more. Honestly, I can't find 8 friends who haven't done it! So if you stop in and have 8 weird things that you want the world to know~ consider yourself tagged!

Thanks y'all
Sandi

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi again.
Some time since I have been here as well.

Lovely bottle and looks like a perfect sangria. Must try it some day.

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I have always wondered what to do with one of those jars, because I've secretly wanted one as well. You've come up with the best solution ever!

Anonymous said...

Britt-Arnhild~ I saw your flag yesterday when you were visiting... Did you hear me say Hey There?
TW~ I understand this is what we need to make limoncello...you try it first.

Naturegirl said...

I'd love to see his plate with a scoop of everything! I'd be there with my fork tasting with him!Sangria looks good but I like my wine straight up..well my white I will mix with soda water for a spritzer.hugs NG

PAT said...

Hi Sandi...I like the jar. I've never made Sangria. If I ever do, I will definitely have to have a stylish dispenser!

Loved Bill's weird list.

Pat
Back Porch Musings

ally said...

The sangria looks GOOD!!! I love sangria! I will try it soon...when my sis comes back next weekend! Thanks for the suggestions, I am finding it hard to rename the face painting business. Thanks for stopping by.
Cheers,
ally

wheresmymind said...

I so want one of those fancay containers to server my sangria in!

Kevin said...

Sandi,
That is a great bottle, and I do love sangria. In fact I'm making a sangria granita today.

Carla said...

That's a beautiful Sangria jar! I have an old antique pitcher that I use that is also very unique looking. I love finds like that.

kellypea said...

I love sangria. And you should see the jar I bought at Target that we serve all kinds of "Joo-Joo" or "Hoochie-Pop" in. It's one of those gigantic candy jars with a glass lid -- about a 5 gallon size. Perfect for sangria so you can see all the beautiful fruit!

Anonymous said...

Sandi, Where did you find that jar?? I love Sangria, my aunt Andrea at Under a Blue Moon makes it, and its pretty string stuff!! I love that your husband got to have his 8 weird things list!!

Anonymous said...

Naturegirl~ he doesn't share well.
Pat~ he's not such a weirdo.
Ally~ It's the perfect thing to share with sis =D
Lost Mind~ I got the only one at this Target... check yours!
Kevin~ I'm honored to have a real chef checking in at the whistlestop cafe.
Carla & KellyPea~ I showed mine- you show yours.
Sara~ even wine purists like you will drink sangria...I knew I liked you!

Kevin said...

Sandi,
"He organizes his entire life on yellow legal pads and still has lists from years back."

I couldn't live without yellow legal pads (I use 5"x8" pads to avoid being overwhelmed by the list (and then keep multiple lists[sigh])) but keeping old lists is just plain weird.

And hey, next time you find yourselves up in this area I expect an opportunity to make lunch or supper for you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails