Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Thursday, March 08, 2012

Flavors ~Lobster~ 'Lobster Mac and Cheese'

The flavor for the week is Lobster . . . Y'all know that I love a good lobster.
But ~ Honestly, I love them fresh, when I am in Boston. Paying $30 for a couple of tired looking tails is just a rip-off.
Which reminds me . . . Why did I agree to this cooking challenge?
I sucked it up and paid for my lobster .
Lobster apparently goes with any flavor. Butter is enough in my humble opinion ! Here I combined it with a good southern Mac and Cheese. I have capitalized the recommended flavors.
Lobster Mac and Cheese
3 Tbs BUTTER
3 Tbs flour
2 cups CHICKEN STOCK
juice of one LEMON
2 cups MILK
1 cup HEAVY WHIPING CREAM
1 1/2 pounds COLBY JACK CHEESE
1/2 cup marscapone CHEESE
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano CHEESE
Salt and freshly ground BLACK PEPPER
1 Tbs fresh THYME
1 Tbs fresh BASIL
1 pound large pasta shells, cooked in salted water to al dente
2 (2-pound) lobsters, steamed, meat removed from shells
Crumb Topping:
1 1/2 cups coarse breadcrumbs
1 tsp ANCHOVY PASTE
2 tsp grated LEMON zest
Melt the butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the hot stock, milk, and cream and whisk until the sauce begins to thicken. Cook for several minutes, whisking occasionally.

Remove from the heat and whisk in the grated cheese and marscapone, season with salt and pepper. Add the thyme, basil and pasta and stir until combined. Chop the lobster into bite-sized pieces and fold into the pasta. Pour into a buttered casserole dish or individual baking dishes.For the bread topping: Put toasted bread chunks into a small blender. Add the anchovie paste and lemon zest. Whir to crumble. Sprinkle generously over the pasta.
Bake at 350° until heated through and top is browned ~ about 20 minutes.
This was a meal in itself. Rich and Cheesy. It didn't do much to improve the Flavor of the Lobster . . . in fact, next time I'm using the inexpensive lobster substitute ! But I will make the Mac & Cheese again.

Join us for the ride on Facebook and our blog Flavors .

Happy Cooking y'all~
Sandi

2 comments:

pam said...

I had every intention of participating in this flavors challenge, unfortuantely I can't plan ahead or get organized.

A Tale of Two Cities said...

What a fabulous way to make mac n' cheese decadent! Love the lobster touch....

Related Posts with Thumbnails