Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Sunday, May 03, 2009

Black Bean Salad

Here we are on our second week of the Salad Samplers, a group who promises to travel the world with salad recipes.
This is a favorite of 'Tour Mamma', just in time for Cinco de Mayo. Y'all know that this is a big holiday for us~ only because we have friends who own The Margarita Grill in Pelham! That is as good a reason as any to celebrate.
Black Bean Salad
4 cans black beans, rinse and drain
1 1/2- 2 cups cooked rice
Dice some combination of the following:-- try to dice all vegetables uniformly to a size similar to the size of the black beans for the best appearance
red onion
garlic (up to 12 cloves more or less)
bell peppers
jalapeno- 2 or 3 depending on the heat you like, minced
roasted corn (canned, frozen or fresh)
Toss all ingredients together and season with salt & pepper
Cumin-Lime Vinaigrette
1/2 cup olive oil
zest and juice from 1 lime
salt and pepper
1 tsp mustard
garlic minced (6 cloves)
cumin or chili powder (1-2 tsp to taste)
stir in fresh chopped cilantro
I used whole wheat orzo instead of rice, and only mixed in half of the black bean mixture. This makes a BIG bowl. I ate my salad on top of an avocado.

The other half of the black beans I served the next night with grilled chicken as a 'salsa'. Either way this is a great recipe... don't skip the vinaigrette, it makes the recipe.
See y'all at the grill~



Y'all enjoy!
Sandi

12 comments:

Char said...

sounds so yummy

Anonymous said...

The orzo would be a good addition! I agree that the dressing is extra special! Your salad looks brilliant Sandi - as always. . . perhaps they have black beans and jalapenos in Montisi.

Lori Lynn said...

Like the orzo in this dish! Vinaigrette sounds excellent too.
LL

Fran said...

This salad looks delish! I know with the summer coming and the temperature rising that I don't want to warm up the house any more than necessary. This is a great idea.

Fran

nanny said...

Looks yummy! I would never skip the vinaigrette,,,,love it.

barb said...

with temps rising this is perfect and I agree with you Orzo would be my choice.

thanks

Justabeachkat said...

Oh.My.Gosh! That looks and sounds delish!

Hugs!
Kat

Barbara said...

Sounds very tastey! Will have to give this one and the chicken said a try.

Marcia said...

I like the idea of using orzo, it's a favorite at our house - where do you find the whole wheat version, and if you say the Pig . . .

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Char~ Yummy indeed!
jerry~ No black beans, jalapenos, or margaritas in Montisi.
Lori~ This is a good vinaigrette that could give any salad a zip.
Fran & Doodles~ Stick with us... we'll have a new salad every sunday.
Nanny & Kat~ glad y'all stopped in!
Barbara~ I like it almost more as a fresh salsa!
Marcia~ I don't know that the Pig carries orzo period. This is my 'must buy' every time I am at The Fresh Market.

Fifi Flowers said...

That looks delish!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

YUM! Happy Cinco! My love to RJ and Javier! Have fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails