Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Cooking Light ~ Celebrating birthdays with food

We have several birthdays in our Virtual Supper Club in the month of September . . . so we are celebrating birthdays with food ( is there any other way ? )
I love lemon bars ~ so I searched for this Cooking Light Recipe.


Butter Crunch Lemon Cheese Bars
Crust:
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • Cooking spray
  • Filling:
    1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
    3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1 large egg
    1 large egg white
    Preheat oven to 350°.
    To prepare crust, place first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Lightly spoon 1 cup flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Add 1 cup flour to butter mixture, and beat at low speed until well-blended. Press crust into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
    To prepare filling, place cottage cheese in a food processor; process 2 minutes or until smooth, scraping sides of bowl once. Add 1 cup granulated sugar and remaining ingredients, and process until well-blended. Pour filling over crust.
    Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until set (the edges will get lightly browned), and cool. Cover and chill for 8 hours.
    Let me just say that cottage cheese is not a good substitute for cream cheese.
    I am not sure there is a good substitute for cream cheese. The lemmony flavor wasn't bad... but that cottage cheese texture turned me off.
    I saved lots of calories on this dish . . .
    Now let's see what everyone else has brought for our  birthday celebration . . .
    Jerry is kicking the party off with a Champagne Pomegranate Cocktail
     Val has an appetizer of Shrimp Bouillabaise Fondue 
    Giz is bringing dessert, with Peach Ice Cream
    This month we don't have a guest blogger ~ give a shout if you are interested in joining us.
    Y'all enjoy~
    Sandi

    3 comments:

    Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

    Lemon is my chocolate so there is no doubt in my mind that this is right up my alley!!!!

    Anonymous said...

    Cottage cheese? Porca miseria!

    Manish Batra said...

    Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
    Karma KM 2500 Wheelchair

    Keep Posting:)

    Related Posts with Thumbnails