Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Thursday, May 13, 2010

Pomodori e Vino~ Stuffed Lettuce


We just missed this dish for Easter~ Stuffed Lettuce Soup is the traditional Easter dish on the Italian Riviera. I can't imagine the Mac's kitchen if I had announced I was bringing lettuce soup stuffed with a baby lamb. It is probably just as well...


Luckily, Marcella's version is made with veal and chicken, blended with fresh ricotta and parmigiano-reggiano ~ rolled into tender lettuce leaves.


The meat is cooked in butter then minced.
The minced meat is added to a bowl with tender veggies, herbs and ricotta.
The lettuce leaves are blanched to soften them, then stuffed with the meat mixture.
The lettuce rolls are tightly packed into a large saucepan then covered with meat broth.
The whole pot simmers for 30 minutes.
The lettuce rolls are served over a slice of toasted bread and covered with the thickened broth.

As lovely as this is... I think next Easter we will still have to have sugar ham and sweet potato souflee for Easter. Marcella and Victor are invited to a southern feast!
Ciao y'all,
Sandi

6 comments:

a Tale of Two Cities said...

I made your family favorite chicken casserole tonight, and it was a big hit! Have a great weekend....

Debi

Tanna said...

Sandi, you make the most "gourmet" looking meals of anyone I *know*! That is beautiful.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It doesn't have to be Easter for me to give this a try. I really like the concept!!

Char said...

that looks completely delish

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Y'all have to see on the Pomodori e Vino post... I got a comment from Marcella herself!

"You are entering a unique category, Sandi. I don't know that many cooks
outside of Liguria even know about this soup, let alone make it. They would
strain to believe that an American is making Suffed Lettuce Soup. I am
proud of you. Hugs. Marcella"

I am tickled pink!!

Dar said...

How interesting...I'd love that....you always intrigue me with your interesting recipes.
Continue to capture my attention.
I am always hungry.
BlessYourWeek

Related Posts with Thumbnails