Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Tuesday, December 08, 2009

A very Sad day~

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings...

I posted this poem last month for Veterans Day. 
Today, I found these words to be especially comforting.
Bill and I spent the day trying to remember special words of advice from 'The Colonel'. Here are just a few~~
*Always fill the gas tank when it is half empty.
*There is no need to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.
*If you need help go to the catholic priest (this from a Methodist preacher's kid)
*Don't sweat the small stuff.
*Start and end your speech with a joke.
*Don't even start smoking.
*Every good pilot needs a navigator.
*If you're going to wear shoes, they may as well be cowboy boots.
*It's only money.
*You are either going to be making new car payments, or car repair payments.
*War Damn Eagle!

Being a good air force man (and U2CIA guy), most of the other words of advice were a little more political and a lot more colorful~ But that was the papa we loved.
He was quite a man!

13 comments:

Palma said...

Very sweet post, Sandi. We're thinking of you.

Holledayz said...

Love the pictures and the quotes...
You said it all! Thinking of you today...Hugs!

Mari said...

You have my sympathy and prayers. I enjoyed the pictures.

Carol Murdock said...

" Be Still and Know That I Am God"
Thinking of you.........

nanny said...

Sounds like a very good and sweet man! Thinking of you!

Cora said...

...and I bet his pilot was/is God.
Beautiful words and memories, very nicely put.
Thinking of you.....and may you find comfort.

Blesings to you.

Gail's Great Escapes said...

The poem you posted on Veteran's Day is the same one I had read at my Daddy's service. It is one of my favorites and gives such comfort. Thinking of you and your family today.

A Tale of Two Cities said...

So sorry to hear about the passing of your father. Holly has shared enough about him that I know he was a class act.

My condolences,
Debi

Anonymous said...

I know you will miss your dad a great deal, but he left you with wonderful memories, you are a very lucky daughter. :)

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your loss,Sandi.
Sheri

barb cabot said...

Sandi I'm am so very sorry to read this news. The loss of someone so dear is a huge wound. I know he was such a colorful and grand personality in the lives of all who knew and loved him. May his
memory shine on to lighten your grief. My prayers and condolences for you and yours.

Lisa Pogue said...

Sandi, my heart sends love to you. Your post was so touching, I loved the advice. Everyone of them hit the nail on the head!! Take care my friend, my thoughts and prayers are with you!

asouthernsunset said...

I LOVE this post! Such wonderful words of wisdom.
Yaya

Related Posts with Thumbnails