Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Making Mascarpone

This post has been in the works for a while. Several months ago my adventurous friends from Slow Travel started making cheese... I decided not to take part~ my plate was full!

Then I saw that they were making mascarpone cheese. Mascarpone is a soft Italian cheese with a rich, sweet, smooth flavor. It is used to make tiramisu and other desserts and can be rather expensive. I had just made two large pans and spent $24 just in cheese.

So... if you can't beat em~ join em! They call themselves 'Curds our Whey', and have made all kinds of cheeses: Ricotta, Mozzarella, Feta and Mascarpone. Easy peasy~ I could do it!

There are a couple of different recipes on line, both using pasteurized cream and either tartaric acid or lemon juice. The cream needs to be pasteurized... not ultra-pasteurized.

The biggest problem was finding the tartaric acid that is needed to turn the cream into cheese. I ordered it from The New England Cheese Making Company ... after several attempts with lemon juice that just didn't work for me.

Tomorrow I will post the recipe and the process. Today I have to finish making my tiramisu for Jerry's birthday.
Y'all come back tomorrow!
Sandi

10 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Thanks Sandi! I'd love to have the recipe. I have a YOUTUBE vidoe on my blog,s sidebar that shows how to make home made ricotta -- aslos so good and easy!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

PS Happy birthday to Jerry! :-)

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Pat~ I will have to check that out. I think ricotta may be my next whey!

Justabeachkat said...

Brave girl!

Hugs!
Kat

Tracey said...

hey girl!!! Remember me?! It's been a while and I'm going to try to do better about blogging more often. Thought I'd stop by and see how you're doing! Looks like you're up to the same delicious goodness!!!
:-)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Be still my heart!



ANd Happy Birthday!

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

I bow to you, O' Goddess of the Kitchen! You're making your own cheese???? Wow. It's all I can do to make my own sandwich. I'm duly impressed. :)

Kari

Anonymous said...

LOL @ Pat! Thanks.

Where IS my tiramisu Sandi? MMMMMMM

Your many talents do not cease to amaze me.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Jerry~ y'all come and get it!!!
:-)

Chef E said...

I actually been thinking about making some cheese, and made ricotta...mascarpone sounds interesting now!

Related Posts with Thumbnails