Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Sunday, September 14, 2008

Panforte Scoops


Have you ever tasted an Tuscan panforte? It is sort of an Italian fruit cake~ a spicey cake with fruit and nuts. Panforte is the inspiration for this weeks Sunday Slow Scoopers.

I made my own candied orange and lime peels a few days earlier. They turned out so pretty! When it came time for ice cream, I got the 'veto' on adding them into the mix.

Panforte Ice Cream
1 cup half&half
2/3 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 cups heavy cream
4 egg yolks
3 Tbs honey
1/4 cup mixed candied citrus peels
1/2 cup almonds

Warm the half&half with sugar and cinnamon stick- broken in half, add cloves and nutmeg. Cover and set aside to all of flavors to infuse for 30 minutes. Rewarm, and slowly incorporate the egg yolks. Cook custard until thickened or temperature reaches 170°. Pour through a strainer into a bowl filled with cream in an ice bath. While it is cooling warm honey and stir into the custard. Chill before freezing.

During the last minutes of churning add orange peel and almonds.
I served my scoops on a bed of candied citrus peels. It tasted just as good!

Y'all enjoy!
Sandi

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your ice cream looks great! I really liked this one. And your orange peels are so shiny-mine were good, but not so shiny. I didn't use the candy thermometer, just cooked it the length called for, but I'm wondering now if I forgot to add the corn syrup. Oh well, they still tasted good.

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of the citrus peel as a bed for the icecream instead of on top. I'll steal that one someday!

lululu said...

You are really into ice-cream mode lately!!!! It looks yummmmmmmm!!!

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Ewwwwwwww!!!!AHhhhhhhhhhh! Sounds so good!

Justabeachkat said...

More yummy-ness!

Sorry I haven't visited in awhile. For some reason (why oh why?), I decided to clean out my master closet, just my side mind you, and somehow it has caused me to do my husband's side and then the two guests rooms too since I stored more of my things in them. Oh Lord...one thing leads to another which leads to another! Anyhoo, I've been bad about my blog reading. It's been fun though catching up with you this afternoon.

Hugs!
Kat

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Cindy~ the candied peels are so pretty. I can think of all kinds of things to use them in.
Deborah~ You are always welcome to any ideas I might think of!
LuLu~ We are making a new ice cream out of 'The Perfect Scoop' every Sunday. Stay tuned...
Carolyn & Kathy~ glad y'all stopped by!

grace said...

i've never tasted this panforte creation, but it sounds like something i'd really enjoy. ice cream form sounds even better. :)

Carla said...

Your candied oranges look fantastic. I'm just going to have to give that a whirl. Good luck on your tour.

Pearl Maple said...

Yumm, you always have the most tasty recipes to share with us.

My Notting Hill said...

This recipe sounds heavenly. Now, Im hungry.

Related Posts with Thumbnails