Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Cooking Light ~ Outdoor Kitchen

When it gets hot in the south, the best plan is to just not heat up the kitchen. So for our Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club we are 'Moving the kitchen outdoors'.

In the perfect world, I would have an outdoor kitchen like the one at Tenuta San Pietro where I was just last week. Alas~ the perfect world would not include making choices between Italy or home improvements.

The perfect world would include Virtual friends and Virtual Supper Clubs! So, here I found the perfect recipe on Cooking Light, something light and fresh! Grilled Scallops on Rosemary
12 large sea scallops
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
8 (12-inch) fresh rosemary sprigs
Hot cooked basmati rice
Garnish: lemon slices Combine scallops and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl; cover and chill 30 minutes.

Pick leaves off 6 inches of one end of each rosemary sprig, leaving the other end intact. Soak rosemary sprigs in water in a shallow dish 20 minutes.

Place 2 rosemary skewers side by side, leaving a small space between. Thread 3 scallops onto bare part of rosemary skewers. Repeat with remaining rosemary and scallops. Grill over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Serve on a bed of basmati rice with lemon slices, if desired.

Optional: For smoky flavor, cut slices of prosciutto in half lengthwise and wrap 1 piece around each scallop before skewering.

Prosciutto Optional??? I will always opt for some prosciutto. I made these and served them as an appetizer, while we were chilling around the pool.
Now let's see what everyone else has brought for our Virtual Supper without heating up the kitchen...
Jerry has fired up the grill for a Grilled Vegetable Salad with Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
Jamie has made Thyme Potatoes for the perfect side dish.
Val is making BBQ chicken sliders with a Pickled Onion marmalade.
MaryAnn has made dessert ~ Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream.
Roz has grilled and stuffed Portebello Mushrooms with tomatoes, cheese and herbs.


Don't forget, that y'all are welcome to join in our virtual supper with the blog hop!


Y'all enjoy~
Sandi

7 comments:

Holledayz said...

Oh yum! These look really good and quick...love the switch to outdoor grilling for the summer. Now I will have to buy a grill for our London patio! Cheers!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It's at times like this that I wish I still had my extensive gardens with abundant rosemary. These look so good Sandi!!! Thanks for brnging them to supper:D

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Sandi, thanks for such a great theme for The Virtual Cooking Light Supper Club this month! I can't wait to read and try everyone's selections. I am just pea green with envy (just like Scarlett) that #1: you got to go to Italy, and #2: you've got a dreamy swimming pool. Enjoy, girl! It sure is hot too soon!

Anonymous said...

These look amazing! I can just imagine them cooking on an outdoor grill . . the rosemary scent wafting through the air. MMMM

The more you show me the pics from the villa the more I was I was heading there NOW and not October!

heidi said...

Oh my Sandi! You are amazing with food. Those scallops look so good, I can imagine the flavors, the rosemary and bacon melding together over an open flame, mmmm. I think I'm going to have to try that in the coming days. :)

Sandra said...

I can almost smell them cooking. I am putting scallops and rosemary on my shopping list. mmmm sounds sooooo goood!!!

Unknown said...

hi..this is my first time to visit your site ..i like your site its very useful for outdoor kitchens.i also know a very good site for Outdoor Kitchens at willefordfence(.)com...!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails