Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Sunday, August 03, 2008

Sunday Slow Baking


Our final recipe from Gina DePalma's 'Dolce Italiano' is a Toasted Almond Gelato. I picked this as an easy transition to our new challenge Sunday Slow Scoopers! Starting next week the Slow Travelers will begin working our way through David Lebovitz's 'The Perfect Scoop', perfect for summer.

Luckily, I already have a Cuisinart ice cream freezer... the best Father's day gift ever!

Gelato di Mandorle
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs honey
pinch of kosher salt
2 tsp amaretto
1/2 tsp almond extract
Preheat oven to 375°. Toast the almonds on a baking sheet 12-14 minutes until golden brown.
Place the almonds in a medium saucepan. add the cream and milk, the sugar and honey and place over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. remove from the heat and allow the flavor of the almonds to infuse into the cream.
Allow the mixture to cool, then strain and discard the almonds. Stir in the salt, amaretto, and almond extract. Freeze the gelato in an ice cream freezer.
I couldn't bear to toss out those toasted almonds, so I diced some and stirred them into my cream. It made a wonderful almondy gelato! Next time I will double the recipe, 2 cups is just enough to make you scream for ice cream.

This is our last recipe from 'Dolce Italiano', and what a treat it has been. We have enjoyed Taralli, Polenta Cake, Sweet Apple Omlet, Semifreddo, Strawberries with Cream, Ricotta Cheesecake, Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies, Zucchini Cake, Lemon Biscotti, Grappa Cakes, Grissini, and Pistacio Bars. A special grazie to Jerry for my cookbook! I feel especially honored to have shared my kitchen every Sunday with Gina and the rest of my Slow Baking friends.

Next Sunday... Slow Scooping begins!
Y'all enjoy,
Sandi

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

yuummm!

Tonja said...

I don't even understand all those words, but it all sure LOOKS divine!

Lisa Pogue said...

Wow, I have to send this to my mom. It looks amazing!!

Sally said...

Oh, God! I can't *wait* until next Sunday!! I want that cookbook (and an icecream maker, of course). Mmmm mmmmm mmmmmmmm!

willzmom said...

Huh, oh I think I passed out for a minute...that looks soooo goood!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Sally~ I can't wait till next week either.
Ice cream, you scream...

Mosaic*Queen said...

Yuuuuuuuuuuuu~my!!!!!!!!!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Sandi, I felt bad about throwing out those almonds, too. I should have used them as you did!

Sandy said...

Oh my gosh, now I'll take some of that! YUM.

Anonymous said...

Looks so yummy and so easy!

windycorner said...

This sounds delicious. We have that same ice cream maker, it sure is handy isn't it?
Holley

Related Posts with Thumbnails