Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Thursday, July 24, 2008

Dilly Beans

It has been hot and humid here in Alabama!
Are you looking for a way to Beat the Heat?
If your garden is turning out lots of green beans this is the answer to your problem. Dill Pickle Beans~
Little dilly beans are my favorite. I was determined to find out how to make them. Now, I am not big on all the effort that goes into canning vegetables... but I will go to the trouble to make some refrigerator pickles. These don't last long!
Dilly Beans
2# fresh green beans
2 Tbs mustard seed
3 Tbs kosher salt
4 Tbs fresh dill weed
1 tsp crushed red pepper
4 cloves garlic, sliced
2 cups water
2 cups vinegar
2/3 cup sugar

Wash and stem fresh green beans (use the tender string less kind). Quickly blanch beans in water with 1 Tablespoon salt, cook them for about 5 minutes until they are crispy tender and still bright green. Drain and cool. Place beans upright in containers. Divide spices evenly into each container. Boil 2 cups water and vinegar with salt and sugar, pour hot liquid over beans. Seal in an airtight container or a jar with a tight lid. Store in the refrigerator. Allow to sit at least 2-3 days before serving.
I bet you can't eat just one!
Y'all enjoy,
Sandi

21 comments:

Lisa Pogue said...

Oh my gosh, these sound fantastic!!! I love dill anything!

Anonymous said...

Oh my that sounds so good I am going to try it !My gang will eat them up fast!
Diane

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love dill so I'm sure I'd love these! I posted an eggplant rolatini recipe today -- the eggplants in the market have been so big and delicious.

Gigi said...

oh wow, i bet they would be fantastic in a bloody mary! ...mmm!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Oh my! I am so going to be making them!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

How long will these keep in the fridge? (Not that I wouldn't want to eat them all right away...)

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Lisa~ me too!
Diane~ The gang might even enjoy helping out in the kitchen this time.
Pat~ I have to check out your eggplants...
GiGi~ gee... I never would have thought of that :-)
Hip Chick~ thanks for stopping in
Lydia~ the longest mine have lasted is 2 months... only because they are gone long before then. They don't get mushy- only better.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, I forgot all about dilly beans. Those are good. I love anything dill.

Yep, this heat's GOT to go soon!

Rhoda

pam said...

Thank you for posting this! I love dilly beans! I've canned them in the past, but I was hoping there was an easier way to do it!

Justabeachkat said...

They sound delish, but I've never had them. They're pretty too.

Hugs!
Kat

Sally said...

I *love* dilly beans, or asparagus, or cauliflower, or...well, you get the picture. LOL

BTW - where did you get the jars? Your post is the second one I've seen where you're using the glass lidded ones. I can only get the regular old Mason jars with the rings and lids. I want some of those like you have!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Rhoda~ I hope you are staying cool!
Pam~ It doesn't get any easier than this. Just keep them in the fridge
Kat~ Now I know what you get for Christmas.
Sally~ I have had these jars for years. I couldn't begin to tell you where I found them. They are great for lots of things.

grace said...

sandi. god bless ya. i adore dilly beans, and it really makes me sad to think of all the poor schmucks who've never had any--they're really missing out. good for you for bringing attention to this delicious treat! :)

Anonymous said...

Sandi - these beans are a favourite of my moms. She alsmo makes dilled asparagus which is tasty as well.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Grace~ poor schmucks indeed
Jerry~ I need to make a batch with asparagus... these are almost gone.

Cape Cod Washashore said...

We LOVE dilly beans!!! Thank you for sharing your recipe! My MIL grew a fabulous veggie garden this summer, and she loves to do pickling, so hopefully we'll be having some of these dilly beans this fall! =)

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Aw man I love pickled veggies! And dill WOW!

Tina Leavy said...

oh now that sounds yummy.

Ashley said...

These look great! I'll definitely be trying them out :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this recipe. I used to can dilly beans, but wanted a refrigerator recipe for a small batch. They are soo good..

Manish Batra said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Karma Ergolite 2501

Keep Posting:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails