Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Monday, June 22, 2009

Poppy Seed Risotto

I was thinking about my poppies, and found this recipe just the other day on Brownie Points. I promised to make it, and I'm glad I did!

Poppy Seed and Sweet Onion Risotto
2 Tbs poppy seeds
2 slices bacon
1 sweet onion diced
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
white wine
1 Tbs butter
3 cups chicken broth simmering on a back burner.

In a small bowl soak poppy seeds in just enough white wine to cover. In a deep frying pan, fry bacon- fry a couple of small onion rings for garnish. Reserve a small amount of the bacon grease and pour off the rest. Saute onion until translucent, add rice and stir for a couple of minutes. Continue making the risotto as you normally do... add wine to deglaze the pan. Add the broth one cup at a time. Cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed. When all the broth is used and the risotto is tender, add the poppy seeds and wine, crumble the bacon into the pot, add 1 Tbs butter and stir until creamy.
I served it with my favorite lemon-caper chicken. It was perfetto and tasted of Tuscany!
Ciao y'all,
Sandi
This post was featured on Photograzing!

8 comments:

Chef E said...

Seeing this is making me want my edgy food over my comfort home food that I have been cooking the past few weeks...Looks and sounds great!

Mari said...

Oh yummy! Perfecto indeed!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Oh, Sandi, this sounds heavenly!
Well, as long as no one has any worries about company drug testing (a nod to my fav sitcom, Seinfeld)

Virginia said...

WEll I just found your blog from some of my readers after I did a post on the IRondale Cafe today.http://birminghamalabamadailyphoto.blogspot.com/

Your recipes look delicious. I"ll be back for sure.
V

lululu said...

poppy seed risotto...such a creative dish. it looks so pretty!

Anonymous said...

oh, wow! love the idea of a poppy seed risotto.

stumbled upon your blog today, and Fried Green Tomatoes is one of my favorite books of all time. Love that I discovered your blog and all its tasty recipes. :)

Lori Lynn said...

I really like poppy seeds, don't use them often enough, have to change that. I used to make a spinach salad dressing with them...
Your risotto sounds great!
LL

nancyhol said...

The risotto sounds yummy! I am going to try it soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails