Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Sunday, July 29, 2007

Dog Days of Summer

These are the dog days of summer. By the end of the day we are just dog tired. It is to hot to do much of anything but lay around.

If you can't get to the beach, you may as well eat like you are there. This is a quick and light summer meal, when you don't want to heat up the kitchen.


Shrimp & Spinach Pasta
extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon
1 small onion diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1# shrimp
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
3 cups fresh spinach
linguine pasta

Make a lemon oil with 1/2 cup olive oil and the zest of one lemon, set aside.
Cook pasta in boiling water with a tablespoon of olive oil. Dice onion, mince garlic, and chop parsley. Clean and stem spinach, chop if large leaves. Remove shrimp shells. In a skillet, add lemon oil, saute onions and garlic. Add shrimp and cook until pink and curled. Add the juice of 1 lemon, parsley, salt and pepper to taste, and reduce the heat. Just as the pasta is done add spinach to the shrimp, allow to cook only until wilted. Combine pasta and shrimp to serve. Top with lemon zest.
Y'all stay cool!
Sandi


14 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Sandi, that looks like a good pasta recipe. My hubby won't hardly eat pasta without red sauce though.

Love your prizes you got from Sandi, those are great!

Thanks for the honorable mention on the Reflection award. You have a fun blog going here too!

xo,
Rhoda

Justabeachkat said...

Oh.My.Word! That looks and sounds delish!

It's soooooooooooo hot here too!

Hugs!
Kat

Sally said...

I love the photo of your Fancy on the water. Lucky dog!

Sugar Bear said...

Pasta is heaven. All I need to survive is pasta and chocolate and some regular 'ol full sugar Coca-Cola!
Karla

Tracey said...

I LOVE the photo of the dog on the float! That is toooo precious!!!

Fried up some green tomatoes today at lunch and thought of you!

Hope all is well!!!

Cheryl said...

Oh you dog is so stinkin' beautiful!!!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Rhoda~ I don't think it would be quite the same with tomato sauce =(
Kat~ It may be hot, but you are at least at the beach!
Sally~ she knows she is a princess
Karla~ all you need in life...
Tracey~ I'm glad to know you thought of me =D
Cheryl~ Stinkin' rotten! (but we love her)

Sandy said...

I love the photo of your doggy. You are so right about the dog days of summer. Seems like they started earlier this year. I saw on the news where the dog days end in mid August but I can't believe that! It's this hot into the end of September!

Adriann said...

Cute doggie! That recipe looks yummy!!! Um, Um, good!

Vonda said...

Bill and Sandi, I got your blog off of Rhoda's website and I noticed you worked for Norfolk Southern. My Daddy (James Williams) also worked for them in Atlanta and Norfolk, retired back in 2000 after 30+ years. I am so glad I have you to ask about this, but my husband took me to The Whistle Stop Cafe in South GA back a couple of years ago for my birthday as I LOVE fried green tomatoes and anything Southern but then I noticed your website in AL...which one is the Whistle Stop Cafe from the book and movie??? Was the one in South GA where they filmed the movie??? Love your blog and I'm going to try the Shrimp and Pasta dish. Take care! Vonda in Germany (but a Southern Belle from GA)

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

RPM~ you'd know about those 'dog days'!
Adriann~ don she know it =D
Vonda~ so glad you stopped by... I'll explain about the cafes- to much here. But ours was the real original!

Gumbo Lily said...

Yum! It's been SO HOT here (100's) and these cool recipes are just what I'm craving.
Thank you!

Jody

Lana Manis said...

yummmm! that sure sounds good Sandi. I'll get the ingredients together and try it soon.

Lana

Anonymous said...

I wish my hubby would eat spinach. This looks like a meal I would love!

Related Posts with Thumbnails